whats the oldest coin you have dug

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
1871 seated dime, when they said go west they forgot to tell them to take some coins with them.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1616 Sommers Island, Large Porthole, Sixpence. One of only 4 found on the North American Continent. A.K.A-----"Hogge Money" The other 3 were found on a beach in Maine. The Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
1616 Sommers Island, Large Porthole, Sixpence. One of only 4 found on the North American Continent. A.K.A-----"Hogge Money" The other 3 were found on a beach in Maine. The Hogge

I didn't know you found one of those. Have any pictures?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The host coin for this French 15 Deniers is a 1500s Douzain. I have found several mid. 1600s coins but this is the only 1500s.

Attachments

• col6.jpg
    col6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • col6.jpg
    col6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,148

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:

That's why I call myself "Hogge". Sent it to PCGS and it came back Environmental Damage.(Of course). It is so worn there are only traces of it left. Sent it to Mark Sportack in Penn. He said he sees what everyone else sees in it, but it doesn't match up with known die varieties. You can only see stuff under magnification, but the PCGS # is 5.97/40059664. Because it had Env. Dam. it came back in a body bag. If it was questionable as to authenticity, it would have said that also. But after many calls to PCGS, they said 2 or more graders looked at it and confirmed it to be authentic. That was good enough for me and for them to put a PCGS label on it. Thought it might have been the restrikes from 1850 but it is TOO old, and too far gone, for that. So I have a piece of HOGGE money!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:

That's why I call myself "Hogge". Sent it to PCGS and it came back Environmental Damage.(Of course). It is so worn there are only traces of it left. Sent it to Mark Sportack in Penn. He said he sees what everyone else sees in it, but it doesn't match up with known die varieties. You can only see stuff under magnification, but the PCGS # is 5.97/40059664. Because it had Env. Dam. it came back in a body bag. If it was questionable as to authenticity, it would have said that also. But after many calls to PCGS, they said 2 or more graders looked at it and confirmed it to be authentic. That was good enough for me and for them to put a PCGS label on it. Thought it might have been the restrikes from 1850 but it is TOO old, and too far gone, for that. So I have a piece of HOGGE money!

Still a keeper none the less!

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Are y'all ready for mine...
I think I'm gonna beat everyone else...

Mine was a 1944 wheatie. ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jlb783 said:
Are y'all ready for mine...
I think I'm gonna beat everyone else...

Mine was a 1944 wheatie. ;D

Hogge says cool, that's some "Jib money" ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the mid 70's I found King George coin. The date was completely gone but I finally narrowed it down to the mid 1790's. I found it at an old log school house site that was built in the early 1800's.

DANGLANGLEY

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANGLANGLEY said:
Back in the mid 70's I found King George coin. The date was completely gone but I finally narrowed it down to the mid 1790's. I found it at an old log school house site that was built in the early 1800's.

DANGLANGLEY

1790s is an unlikely time period for a George III coin. Do you still have the coin?

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture in my profile is my oldest. It has been dated to 120BC to 80BC in an area known as Parthia, which I understand was in or near present day Iran.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Mine a 1775 Mexican Carolus III 2 Real.

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
I found this penny in 30 feet of frozen ground right in the middle of a playground at a school for the mentally ill and gifted.
The site dates back to WELL before the Clinton era and when George Washington prevented the Germans from bombing Pearl Harbor in the battle of Second San Juan Hill Airport and Tire Emporium.
I found it with my bounty hunter and dug it up with a backhoe.
I and my band of Merry Coolies.

Oh it was an epic tale I tell you. We dug for hours, days even.. Well THEY did.
I plied them with promises of roots. Tasty, nutritious roots... Oh the Opulence, the FLAVOR!! "All the roots you can eat my beamish boys!!". The sweat glistened and steamed on their able backs in the chill air, visions of tasty roots dancing in their heads as I sat atop the back hoe, pointing and gesticulating, shouting encouragement, idly sipping my tea in my panama hat and stroking my cat, Herpes.
The work went on into the night, by torchlight..
At last a frenzied shout! Silence as the other coolies stopped flailing their brooms...Hung Kook scrambled out of the hole, holding aloft THIS, the Pennay!!!

It glistened and sparkled in the purple/black light of the midnight sun sparkling through the vegetable trees, chesselike in normal majesty..

And for those "haters" out there,
this was verified by the university's DWP division director Dr. P.L. Ehbah..

;D :laughing7: Dr. P.L. Ehbah --- that's funny. He will be honored. :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1723 woods Hibernia Farthing. found a handful of other coppers that I cant get a date off of but I dont think they are older than that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
1723 woods Hibernia Farthing. found a handful of other coppers that I cant get a date off of but I dont think they are older than that.

It is possible.... Anywhere one of those Hibernia halfpennies turn up there could easily be a William & Mary, William III, or Brit. George I. If you can see any detial at all you should post them because the coppers changed quite a bit so not a lot needs to be seen to ID the period.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1788 Mass. Half Cent back in the 60's in Kansas when I was a kid with a home-made machine. Been hooked ever since... :headbang:

Scott

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
if you enlarge this you may see the date 1750

Attachments

• 1750.JPG
    1750.JPG