Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first decent find of 2010 was a brass palmolive token (have found 3 aluminum, have been wanting a brass). As these are not all that uncommon, I went ahead and threw it in with my copper coins to be tumbled. As we know being buried does not treat brass very well, and as expected it came out a little rough, but much easier to read. I have seen some folks treat their old copper coins with something (some type of oil?) to darken them an make them easier to read. Any ideas on what I could use?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's better NOT to use oil on any coin.
I use bee's wax instead.

For non-valuable copper, I use a hot, hydrogen peroxide bath and a soft tooth brush to dislodge & remove crust.
You may need to leave it in the peroxide bath for 10 or 20-minutes (per each side of the coin) with intermittent
brushing or, until it's the way you like it. Then rinse & soak in either distilled or tap water.

After the copper is dry, it will have a slightly darker color and look dry and dull. To improve the sheen of the coin,
coat it in melted bee's wax (from any craft store) and gently wipe or buff off the excess wax with a cotton cloth.

Hope this helps,
watercolor

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
It's better NOT to use oil on any coin.
I use bee's wax instead.

For non-valuable copper, I use a hot, hydrogen peroxide bath and a soft tooth brush to dislodge & remove crust.
You may need to leave it in the peroxide bath for 10 or 20-minutes (per each side of the coin) with intermittent
brushing or, until it's the way you like it. Then rinse & soak in either distilled or tap water.

After the copper is dry, it will have a slightly darker color and look dry and dull. To improve the sheen of the coin,
coat it in melted bee's wax (from any craft store) and gently wipe or buff off the excess wax with a cotton cloth.

Hope this helps,
watercolor

So why wouldn't you use peroxide on a valuable copper coin? Better is better.

You also need pretty good condition to wax otherwise it will look terrible. Very few of my dug Colonial coppers would benifit from a wax treatment.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

You also need pretty good condition to wax otherwise it will look terrible. Very few of my dug Colonial coppers would benifit from a wax treatment.

I've never found a valuable copper :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
Iron Patch said:

I've never found a valuable copper :D

Well find it and use it, and get back to us. :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I use Johnson's paste wax, in the yellow can, no petroleum and easier to use

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread