What Would You Collect If You Were Just Starting?

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
I am a retired guy, metal detectorist and book collector. So far my detecting finds are pretty slim and I am thinking about starting a small coin collection, that may have more value in the future for the grandkids.

I am getting by OK on s/s and pension but don't have a lot of extra cash, so probably I'm looking at coins around $25 each.

Can I get some ideas from you, silver coins, older stuff or whatever has remained collectible and desirable?

Thanks very much...

Bob in Broomfield

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeffk said:
Standing liberty quarters jeffk

Thanks Jeff.... I will put that at the top of my list.
I just looked that up. What a beautiful coin. 1916-1930 dates.

Bob

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bob,

Whenever I am posed the question of “What coins to purchase for future gain in value” I always come back to the same statement. Desirability, rarity and condition.

1) Buy coins with a low mintage (key dates) in the best condition that you can afford. Its fun to handle old worn coins and ponder where they may have been and whose hands they may have been in but to out pace inflation you need to go with quality. These coins are well above the $25 mark but barring a complete breakdown of society they will always enjoy significant gains in value.

2) Buy Indian Head Cents or Buffalo Nickels that have been slabbed by either PCGS, ANANCS or NGC and have a grade of MS62 or better. Both of these series of coins have always had a huge following. There are other series that are far rarer but lack the broad base of buyers and as such are not as liquid. You can start buying these coins in the $35+ range to begin with and work your way through part of the series by either kicking in more money or perhaps dropping a few points in grade to make your next purchase. There will be many years/mintmarks that will be well above your price mark but you can start around your price range.

3) Buy raw or un-slabbed Morgan Dollars and Walking Liberty Half Dollars in AU-UNC condition. These are two more series of coins that have always enjoyed a wide collector base. They also are relatively large in size and silver which adds to their appeal. Many specimens can be bought in your price range even at today's high price of silver.

I put these suggestions in best order for gain in value and is my opinion as a collector. I am not a dealer but have collected coins for over thirty years and have enjoyed the respect of my opinion by many that know me in person. Hopefully you find this helpful and most importantly have fun in your new hobby.

Mike

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DigginThePast said:
Hello Bob,

Whenever I am posed the question of “What coins to purchase for future gain in value” I always come back to the same statement. Desirability, rarity and condition...
....I put these suggestions in best order for gain in value and is my opinion as a collector. I am not a dealer but have collected coins for over thirty years and have enjoyed the respect of my opinion by many that know me in person. Hopefully you find this helpful and most importantly have fun in your new hobby. Mike

Thanks Mike. I did win a coin value book at a detector meeting, a few years old, but should give me some of the basic facts. Like detecting or any hobby, most of the fun is in the hunt. Thanks again....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I love the Peace Dollar. Big silver with very small mintages towards the end run. And they are a short set. They are undervalued. Many times I can pick up BU 1922 Peace dollars (high mintage) for below silver spot.

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
The walking liberty is a beautiful design + the 1940-47 can still be bought very reasonable in collector grades. Washington quarters is a often over looked but good area to start in also..

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If I were going to collect something to pass along to my (future) grandkids I would probably include some 1 oz rounds from all different sources. I don't know how many companies produce them but there is a lot of them out there. I don't think you would have to worry about them ever losing any value either.

HH Charlie

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Personally I started with wheatback pennies (because they are pretty easy to obtain, less the few super rare ones), but I have put together well over ten sets of wheaties (minus the super rare ones) and given them to young coin collectors to start them out. But as far as something to pass down and be worth some money, I would recommend silver coins for sure. Two of the more beautiful coins is the Standing Liberty Quarter and Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Not only worth something down the line, they are just outstanding to look at.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgan Dollars. With all the years/variety/mints it never gets dull. Check out all the VAM's for morgans as well.. :headbang:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the AU Morgans and Peace dollars as well as the 1 oz. silver rounds. All of these can be found in plenty within your price range and someday silver will rise to a more suitable price where it belongs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread