apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read the coin rolling guide for beginners that is posted in another section of this site. The guide suggested saving all pre 1983 pennies. I believe it was for the copper content. As these are so abundunt, I am unsure if I should really save these. Does anyone else save pre 1983 pennies?
apush

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
If you are saving copper cents, then you will want to keep about 75% of the 82 cents that you find. They switched from copper to copper plated zinc in 1982, thus the reason that not all of them are copper. There are a bunch of 82's out there, so you need to either buy or make yourself a scale to weigh them. It's easy to make one, but if you want to be positive, get yourself a cheap digital scale (for about $20). The copper cents will weigh in at about 3.1 grams, and the zinc cents will read about 2.5 grams.. Good luck, Gpurs..

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! You are absoulty right. I need to purchase a scale.
apush

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Another way to tell the 82's apart is by dropping them. Copper will ring, zink will tink. I keep the pre 83s too, they're around 25% of circulation. They are selling for about 1 to 2 cents a piece, but might go up more later. If you plan on selling them, hold on until copper goes up somemore.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all the pre 82's. The 82's I weigh and sort but save separately. That is what I do. :D

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all pre 1982 cents.
I sort them by date and mint mark. When I get 50 of a variety, I'll roll them up and write what date and mint mark they are on the wrapper.
Right now $10 face value of copper cents are worth over $20.

Scott

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I think saving both copper and silver is good idea, especially fine or better. Since the prices if precious metals went up, 10s of millions of coins have been melted down. I keep any copper coins that is in fine condition from the 40s and fifties and any from the 30s down.

I even keep 80/90s zinc in BU condition. As cheap as they are a roll right now and easily as they corrode they should go up in value better then older copper has. As for silver, so much has been melted down in AG-VG that they should also go up in price as newer collectors come into the hobby.

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
I save all copper cents I come across. Some very nice AU coins can be found in circulation at times & they may some day be desired to fill albums, so I keep most all better condition in either albums or rolls.

Not sure what the zinc to copper ratio is in circulation, but the zinc is by far more plentiful in my area..
FWIW, I dont go thru rolls anymore, I just pick from my pocket & my wifes purse :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread