IH turning green in coin book

Buckeye Steve

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
North Central Oh.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ,Minelab
Hi guys,I was looking at some of my coins today & surprised to find that the IHs were turning green around the edges. :o
Their in one of the coin
books from the 60s-70s erea green.
They havent been taken out of the books since they were put in.
What would be the best way to clean them,& better way to store them????????? ???
Thanks Steve

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Steve, before you do anything, go to the "cleaning and preservation" page on this site. There is usually plenty of topics over there from folks who have done it right, and done it wrong. As long as you have taken them out of the book, you have time to research this and find the proper way to clean and store.. Good luck, Gpurs..

S

stefen

If it was mine I'd leave the coin alone and not clean...

I have 8 complete sets and the coins range from mint color to almost black...

Where I have blanks, I use a reversed (well worn) FE...

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The chemicals that are in the paper and cardboard are making the coins change color. I never use books anymore because my coins used to get discolored and I though it was ruining their value. I don't know what you would do in this case, but I left my coins the way they were and never attempted to clean them in any way other than with a light cloth.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Steve

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
North Central Oh.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ,Minelab
Well went to a few coin shops today & showed one to a guy who seemed to be purty sharp.
After the first panic & looking at all of them,it was not as bad as first thought :headbang:
I showed him the worst one,mostly green on outside edge & he removed it with his fingernail &
took a soft dry rag & wiped it off, no pitting :hello2: said I caught it just in time.
So out of the book they came & into the new holders I got from him,also about 6 IH.
Finally trying to complet the set. Only been workin on it since 57 when Grams first got me into it. :laughing9:
Thanks guys Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread