Theodore Roosevelt or George Washington on new quarter?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Say Neither.

No More Presidents !

Theodore Roosevelt is generally acknowledged as the father of our national parks and also took a personal interest while president in the design of U.S. coins.

Both these facts have prompted a grass-roots effort to put the image of the 26th president on the quarter for the "America the Beautiful" coin program, which will honor 56 national parks or other landmarks — one from each state, the District of Columbia and the five U.S. territories — at the rate of five new coins a year beginning this year

http://www.nj.com/homegarden/design/index.ssf/2010/01/debate_rages_in_coin_world_the.html

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
There would be a biting irony if Teddy was put on American coinage, now that it is at its ABSOLUTE UGLIEST in our history. It is beyond ugly, and also reflects something of a shift when the coinage is neither aesthetically pleasing nor can it have anything symbolic; must have too many items decided upon by committee (see state quarters) so that no group interest is excluded; this essentially shows a shift from a universal ideal (liberty) to satisfaction of many subcultures with particulars (real not ideal or metaphorical items). I'd also wonder if "In God We Trust" would be included on a coin with Teddy -- which would be another biting irony, though TR objected to it for different reasons than people do today.

An high example of Teddy's vision for American Currency

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

What our money has devolved into (I expect to see Mr. Money bags from Monopoly on the obverse)

images.jpg

Maybe this should be in Rants...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread