Toning?

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
So what's the story with certain silver coins that have that bluish purple toning effect to them? What causes it? I see that coins that have that trend higher in price on feebay. I'm curious because there's a pawn shop near me that has a 1999 that looks almost purple laying in the case. Being a pawn shop though the coin is pretty dirty with gunk between some of the lettering and on the rim. Is it possible to clean something like that up a bit without affecting the toning? I like this coin simply because of the way it looks. I'd like to buy it, clean it up a bit, and keep it. Is this possible?

Thoughts?

~TG~

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Silver is a very reactive metal. Toning is simply a result of the chemical reaction. The most common reagent is sulfur. You may be able to remove the gunk with acetone. Acetone won't affect the toning. It only works on organic material and will leave the toning as is. Things to avoid are jewelry cleaners and dips. These specifically target toning on silver.

Depending on the amount of gunk you may need several acetone soaks to remove it. Don't rub the coin in the process. Simply immerse it in acetone for several hours (use a glass container, plastic melts) and thoroughly rinse with water. If you have a water-pik, use it to blast the softened gunk off the coin. resist the urge to pick or pry the material off with a hard object. It will leave scratches.

And be sure to post "before" and "after" pictures so others can learn. :wink:

OP
OP
T

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Thank you Hyperion. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had any thoughts on this. If I do decide to buy it, then I will follow your advice and post photos.

Thanks again Sir.

~TG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread