Thoughts and Advice on Silver Halves

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Long story short, a friend of mine (in his 50's) is selling off a lot of his collection of coins. He has already sold a bunch of stuff to a local dealer. He brought me his collection of halves.

His collection contains:

43 Walkers
35 Bens

The walkers are all 30's and up. The Bens collection is not complete, but pretty darn near it. The coins in both collections would rate from good to very good. Not many F examples.

He offered them to me at $6 per coin. My last knowledge is that the averge half of those eras range somewhere between $5 to $7. Seems pretty fair. What are your thoughts on it?

Also.. I happened to ask him "What did the dealer offer you for them?". He said the dealer offered him melt spot value (somewhere around $5 per coin). Is that the going offer on melt for silver halves? I thought it was only maybe $2 per coin. Was he confused?

My big issue with selling these havles, is that if they are in fact MELTED... that would kill me. I can't imagine that their silver value out weighs their nusmistic value. I know there are plenty of y oung coin collectors that would LOVE to have those coins. Seems a wasted really. What are your thoughts?

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melt value for the halves as of right now is $6.07. With silver being $16.80 an oz. So I would say thats a fair deal. I'd snatch em up in a second at that price.

Mainer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread