4 more ugly (Useless) dollar designs on the way

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
Never really thought about Lincoln on the cent that much.The president that's credited for ending slavery...Fast forward 150 years and a Black president may be in office when Lincoln cents come to an end..That's a fine how do you do

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you make a series of coins that are supposed to be "collectible" then people have a hard time accepting them as common currency. I think the mint needs to stop all of this foolishness and make a $1 coin that is the standard nickel and copper composition. Make it look like a normal coin. Put a normal president on it. Make it consistent from year to year so that they can print pictures of it in school books to teach the kids how to make change with it. And make the announcement that this is the new $1 coin going forward. People need to see it as a spendable coin and not as a collector's item. Otherwise they will never accept them as common currency.

You can't change a coin every year and expect people to consider it as serious currency. If it changes every year then it is a commemorative token. Not a coin that you are willing to put your faith behind. How do they expect to be able to teach kids/adults that there is a new $1 coin if they keep changing it every year?

The mint needs to get serious and stop minting money that is solely used for sales to collectors. The current $1 coins are a joke.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't the mint make more money by issuing all these different coins that we hoard and take out of circulation? not to mention making pennies out of zinc that disappear after being in the ground a few years.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using 1 & 2 (and 5!) dollar coins for over 10 years now. It's not that big of a PITA. I actually kinda wish the US Treasury would go to coinage to save me the taxpayer, some of my own money.

Here is a startling fact: paper money stays in circulation on average, 8 months. Coinage stays in circulation on average, 22 years.

It could potentially save the US taxpayer millions or dollars a year, for the first several years at least. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm all about trimming the fat where ever we can and staunch the slow bleeders that otherwise are overlooked.

Again, I for one am all for more coinage and less paper. Any change or anything new is going to be resisted and argued on senseless grounds until folks get used to it (save your obvious parallels on that one, I've already thought of them for you!)

Now, in so far as the new coins? The only argument that is logical is that too many coin designs of the same value tend to confuse folks. Give us the basic coin look, let us get used to it and then after a decade or so, give us a commemorative if you really need to justify reminding that we did have some really useless Presidents....

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
I believe that all of the specialty coins are being minted to satisfy the "collector" in all of us. People hoarded the States Quarters, taking them out of circulation. The cash spent to purchase the coinage stays with the mint (government) and the coins are not being used for transactions...in affect, increasing the national treasury...if everyone cashed in the worthless collector coins it would bankrupt the government.

At least that's my take on it.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
marinedad said:
wouldn't the mint make more money by issuing all these different coins that we hoard and take out of circulation? not to mention making pennies out of zinc that disappear after being in the ground a few years.

The zinc pennies should worry people as zinc is highly toxic when ingested.Children are often nieve enough to put coins in thier mouth and id imagine its not unheard of for a child to swallow one.I dont know how accurate the article i read is but lab tests show one ingested coin was enough to kill a dog.

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
Lincoln cents need to be phased out and dollar coins need to be phased in. It only makes sense that we get rid of the coin that costs more to make than the face value of the coin, and it only makes sense to make the $1 last 50 years rather than a few months.

Back in the 70s they had Eisenhower dollar coins which were unsuccessful due to their bulkiness, they stopped minting those and switched to the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin which seemed like a great idea at first until people started getting pissed as they looked a lot like quarters, so in 1999 they stopped minting those and switched to the Sacagawea dollar coin which they made with a smooth edge to make them easy to differentiate from other coins. They also added manganese to the coin so that when they oxidize they turn a dark color and don't get mixed in with quarters. While this makes the coins turn real ugly after about a year of circulation, it gave the US Mint a good campaign title, the "the golden dollar." As for the consistency of the obverse of the coin, they are currently still considered Sacagawea dollars, except you don't see those ones because of the commemorative presidential ones, but in fact 2/3 of all the dollars minted each year have Sacagawea on the obverse and only 1/3 have the presidents. You are far more likely to see the presidential ones though because the primary reason of having the commemorative series is to get the popularity of the coin up, so they only ship the presidential ones to the banks while the other 2/3 sit and wait for the $1 bill to be taken out of circulation. The US Mint is definitely preparing to stop production of $1 bills, just give it about 10 more years for the Sacagawea inventory levels to get to where they need to be to meet the economic demand, and then you will see the $1 bill be phased out.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
Good GOD...

WHY???

Millard FILMORE for God's sake!!??!!??

Pierce? BufriggingCANNAN??

REALLY??

:dontknow:

Don't get me STARTED on LINCOLN.. The guy that out of arrogance and disdain for the Constitution raised an army to invade his own COUNTRY.....

Good GOD, isn't there enough worship of this dictator?

"Together we stand, divided we fall" Remember that!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WilliamBoyd said:
Bring back the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin!

After all, how many women appeared in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show?

:)

was she the Buffalo ? :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a few rolls of the first ones just to give to my grandkids on their birthdays. I still have a few laying around somewhere. I don't think they will be worth anything but I won't say never. Monty

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
jeff of pa said:
WilliamBoyd said:
Bring back the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin!

After all, how many women appeared in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show?

:)

was she the Buffalo ? :D

And if so, the front or back end? :D (Sorry, but the SBA is really one ugly coin....)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread