l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toning doesn't affect the grade at all. The grade is based on the amount of wear on a circulated coin, and the presence or lack of marks on an uncirculated coin.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it also depends on the type and color of the toning. Black toned silver coins are not particularly attractive while golden and or blue toning can be quite attractive. These days there tends to be a pretty hefty premium on toned coins because they are thought of as "original" or "untouched". However it wasn't all that long ago that you couldn't give away toned coins because everyone wanted bright white coins because they were "mint state".

Toning is nothing more than the interaction of the surface of the coin with a contaminant of some sort. I have seen toned coins where the toning was removed and I have seen white coins being toned. In both cases even experts would have trouble saying a coin was or was not original. Basically whatever the market wants is what the market will get.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
attractive rainbow type natural toning will command a premium but really it has to be in a slab like like pcgs or ngc to sell. It's also hard to get them slabbed too since they may say it's artificially toned. Many have tried to tone and sell for moon money on Ebay. I've seen many people's experiments on coins too. It's hard to do. I've even tried but with mixed results and spent years trying to figure it out. From my experience, I would say this, it's something that can't be done in a day, a week, a month, or even a year on a coin to get the natural toning effect. It'd be worse than watching paint dry. I believe that they're popular because people get tired of plain white coins to collect. People want some type of artistic look to them. Each is like an art piece with the wilder natural toned ones in PCGS slabs selling for moon money on Ebay.

I have created a device to aid in the toning of coins before.. and I was 80% there in the method. It would take a true engineer to create one. It's just so much work to create the thing and granted it toned the coin correctly, it still take over a year and it could only do one coin at a time. No I didn't not add any paint to the coin. If anyone wants to know.. I'd share my complete knowledge for $10,000. Remember, I was only 80% there.. if I had it down 100%, I'd charge $100,000 ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread