Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone.

So, looking through all my coin books (trying to school myself further in US coin variety and scarcity), I came to realize something.

I think I hate seated coins! As I look through all denominations of the Seated Coins through the 1800's, I came to realize that there are hundreds of varieties!

With arrows, then without arrows, then banner with arrows, then banner without arrows, then drapery, no drapery, drapery with arrows... etc... etc.. etc...

I don't find the overall design very eye appealing to begin with, and on top of all the varieties, it makes it damn frustrating!

What the HECK was going on at the mint during those years? Why so many darn changes?

Now, as a collector, I am willing to admit that the number of different designs offers a great adventure when trying to put a collection together, but seriously... did the mint designers have A.D.D. for a few years (no offense for those of us who suffer from this.. as I know I do!)

What are your thoughts on these coins?

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why there are so many varietys. But I do know that next to the capped bust series they are my favorite to collect. I personally like the design but its all a matter of taste. Guess you not liking them leaves more for me too choose from. Best of luck with the coins you do collect. And just out of curiousity what are your favorites to collect? Have a good afternoon.

Mainer

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to like the Seated design but that is just my opinion. The basic design was used from 1836 through 1891, a busy era in the history of the U.S. and some of this can be seen in the Seated design.

Arrows were added in 1853. During this time the value of silver in the coins rose above the face value. Many people took to melting the coins to make a quick 5-10% profit. Also, during this time the greater portion of circulating currency was silver coins and all the melting was creating a currency shortage. The Mint reduced the amount of silver in the coins so that it was back at “spot” value and indicated this change with the arrows. After a few years the arrows were removed as the value of silver remained less than or equal to the face value of the coin. Arrows were added again in 1873 (for a couple years) to indicate an increase of silver in the coins.

“In God We Trust” motto/banner added in 1866 during the same era as other coins receiving the motto. Religious sentiment stemming from the Civil War was the primary reason for adding the motto.

Around 1840 more drapery was added below the elbow. Merely a design change that Mint officials must have felt made for a more attractive coin.

Gold fever starting in 1849 driving the value of silver up and Americans pulling the coins from circulation. Civil War in 1861-1865 driving the addition of the motto. Big events in the history of our nation and the Seated coin was there to witness and participate in it. :icon_thumright:

Still hate them? :D

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that great information Diggin! That is just the sort of thing I was hoping to learn about these coins. I figured that there HAD to be a reason behind some of those changes, and many of the facts that you gave here make total sense!

Although I LOVE the history of those coins, they still aren't my favorite. I have a few, and will probably gain a few more in the future for my collection, but I seriously doubt I will try to do a 'complete' type of set of them.

As for which coins I DO love to collect? My favorites are:

Walking Liberties
Standing Liberties
Barber Series

I love the walking for the Obverse design. I love the Standing Liberty for the same reason. Some of the most elegant designs, in my modest opinion. The Barber series, I'm not a huge fan of the Obverse, but I do think the Barber's have the best Eagle design. Again, just my modest opinion.

Again, thank you for your input!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The walking liberty is a series I never got into I have a few but just never got into them. I use to love the standing libertys when I was younger they were one of my favorite to collect along with mercs. But havnt bought any in a while now. But certainly will when the right deal comes along. Barbers are another favorite of mine just Bought 33 of them from my coin dealer for a great price. There not worth a lot but I'll stick them away in my safe. doesnt matter what we collect they will always hold there value and its fun and interesting. Take care.

Mainer

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome for the info.

I have to agree regarding the obverse of the Walking Liberty Half and the reverse eagle of the Barber. The Standing Liberty has never done much for me as far as aesthetics goes. Some coins I like the symbolism of the different design features, some I like the actual design, some both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread