Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I did the math (correctly, I hope) and used 90% dimes and silver at $17 per oz. as an example. Ten dimes would contain 0.7234 oz. of silver, valued at $12.30; or $1.23 per dime--and your offer would be $1.00 per dime; or 81.3% of the spot price of silver.
Do I have the math right? If so, I'll be interested to read the opinion of others regarding your offer versus, perhaps, what 'the market' is currently paying.
Don.....

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if you can buy them for that price snatch them up, I know I would. Cause 10 times face for a half dollar would be $5.00. And right now melt value for a 90% silver half is $6.03. So I think you would be getting the better deal compared to the seller. So Don's math is correct. Good luck hope you can snatch some up for that price.

Mainer

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
S.S.Tupperware said:
Hi all, I am talking to some people about buying their silver coins for 10 times face value regardless of age or condition, is this a fair price for both parties involved?

Yes this is a fair price.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good price is usually indicated when both parties walk away feeling satisfied with the deal but we also don't want to take advantage of our fellow man. That being said I think your offer is okay when dealing with 90% common coins in bulk lots. If one were to look at from a business perspective then you must leave some value on the table for profit, which you are doing.

Now if you get into older coins, semi-key or key dates, and dollar coins then I would say they need to be looked at from a numismatic perspective for both the buyer and seller.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hey there S.S. Tupperware I have found this site to be helpful for finding values on silver and gold, just go to the coin calculators section at the top of the page and enter what type of coin you have and it will give you the silver value, no pesky math to worry about! hope this helps and HH!
http://www.coinflation.com/

Chuck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
90% silver junk halves seem to always command a premium over dimes and quarters.
Using ebait as a guage, even tho spot price has fallen about 3 bucks in the last couple weeks, Kennedy halves and walkers are still selling at 13-14 X face. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions