Need Help Identifying Coin or ????

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We believe this is copper and is anyone familiar with it ??? Spanish ? Mexican ? Some other ??
IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
It's a mexican coin dating from @ 1800's Here's some history on it. Since 1823, Mexican coins have had the national emblem on the front, accompanied by the inscription “REPUBLICA MEXICANA” (“MEXICAN REPUBLIC”), while the reverse has undergone several changes. Gold coins in the octal system show an arm holding a rod topped with a Phrygian cap over an open law book and the inscription “LIBERTY IN THE LAW.” The first coins denominated in reales bear a radiant Phrygian cap. Sorry i can't seem to post a pic but if you google search images "old mexican coin" you'll find your coin the third on e in the second row. Nice find

Ace Villa-v

OP
OP
frank

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not google anything like it, I tried like you instructed Here is a pic of the reverse side.
many smaller human figures standing the obverse side has what looks like a ships mast with the large letters that look like "D SONORA"

hERE IS A DESCRIPTION FROM THE FINDER: the coin is very thin and not round at all. Not milled at
> all. It is like they had a hand press with warm copper and stamped it out.
> the material ran out on one side and has a lip of copper sticking up from
> the coin and the other side from the lip is short of material as they
> didn't stamp it with material centered. Again one side has a sailing ship
> on it with D.SONORA above the ship. No arrow. Centered on other side is a
> squarish looking rock with 5 human like figures angaling away from each at
> the head and standing on the rock.feet closer together than heads. Not a
> machined modern coin. aprox. 1/8 " wider than tall. Very eregular shaped.

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 244

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Sorry about that the lines looked like the "rays" coming out of the cap from the mexican coin I was talking about. Given your location it made sense. :dontknow: I'll keep digging :icon_scratch:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Isn't this the same coin I ID-ed on 2/9--at least I thought I had ID-ed it.
"Frank:
I'm pretty sure you have a "State Copper" from the State of Sonora, Hermosillo, Mexico issued between 1832 and 1836. The size should be 21 mm, the same size as a US nickel. First, orient the coin (obverse side) so that the "D" (in D SONORA) is in almost the 3 o'clock position. Between two cornucopias is an arrow with its piont up. The obverse legend reads: EST D SORORA UNA CUART. On the reverse is a radiant Liberty Cap. The reverse legend reads: A DE (date) L S HERMOSILLO. The edge is diagonally milled."
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions