? 1865 Indian Head 30 degree rotated rev.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is if you don't think it will grade that high you are probably paying too much. That said, I would have to see the coin first to try to put a grade on it. Entirely up to you.
HH
Gilbert

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
If it is XF I think that's a fair price. Actually that degree of rotation is pretty common so not really considered an error. A lot depends on the condition of the surface and color as well. Any evidence of cleaning? Is it a plain or fancy 5?

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Rooter , I do not know anything about the fancy five (what is that) & the coin is dark drown & looks as though it has never been cleaned. Almost as if it were a dug coin. The detail is there liberty is sharp & the rest of the details are good.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Bula, The 1865 IH cent date came in two versions. It's a little difficult to explain the difference in words. The way to tell the difference is if the ball on the end of the bottom of the 5 extends beyond the vertical straight line it's a fancy 5. If is even with the vertical line and kind of curved in it's a plain 5. The top of the fancy 5 is also more sharp, pointed. and hooked. The plain 5's are much rarer and carry a little premium. If you post a picture I could tell you. Are there any of the 4 diamonds showing? The texture of the coin should be smooth and not pot marked or rough.

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Rooter, I have not bought the coin yet, but will be looking at it again monday. I think I will offer the dealer $20 for it & see what he will do. I am not that big on the Indian Head Cent but do like the rotation even knowing that it does not bring up the price up that much.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, it's always OK to offer less. All he can say is no or counter offer. I'm an IH collector so I love em'. I just wanted to give you my opinion on the price. If it is XF, if he won't budge, if you really want it, $30.00 is an OK price. Good luck! Post pictures if you buy it.

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Rooter said:
Yeah, it's always OK to offer less. All he can say is no or counter offer. I'm an IH collector so I love em'. I just wanted to give you my opinion on the price. If it is XF, if he won't budge, if you really want it, $30.00 is an OK price. Good luck! Post pictures if you buy it.
I appreciate your advise & help on this coin, Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread