OP
OP
gold eye

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
here is a picture working the bugs out still what would it be worth thanks for any info ron

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 237

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
It appears to be as Oddcoins said an unstruck planchet.Quite sought after by some collectors but not that uncommen.Certainly worth more than face value.For a sense of value watch ebay error coins catagory.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold eye - Your coin is not an unstruck planchet as it has been struck on one side. An unstruck planchet would not have been struck on either side.

Your coin is quite nearly impossible to have come from the Mint in its current state. Without having it in hand to weigh I would presume that someone, for some reason, altered the coin enough to remove the reverse details and the reeded edge.

However, don't give up yet. You need to weigh the coin with a precision scale. If you do not have one visit a local coin shop or a jeweler and ask if they could weigh it for you. A properly struck clad dime as from the Mint will weigh 2.27 grams. If the dime is of the proper weight then you have quite the error and things will need to be taken from there.

OP
OP
gold eye

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
iam so sorry the coin on the left is a dime i comparing what i found the one on the right is what i found it came right out a roll from the bank it is the same on the other side and the rim is smooth i was in my stores office when the cashier opened the roll she said that is strange and i said i will give you a dime for it . Like i said iam still learning how to do my pictures thank you all for the help i did post in paper money some silver dollar notes my wife got as a cashier all 1957 in mint condition they even have that new money smell its under crisp silver. like i said thank you Ron

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold eye said:
iam so sorry the coin on the left is a dime i comparing what i found the one on the right is what i found it came right out a roll from the bank it is the same on the other side and the rim is smooth i was in my stores office when the cashier opened the roll she said that is strange and i said i will give you a dime for it . Like i said iam still learning how to do my pictures thank you all for the help i did post in paper money some silver dollar notes my wife got as a cashier all 1957 in mint condition they even have that new money smell its under crisp silver. like i said thank you Ron

Ah, got ya now, so it is smooth on both sides. Then yes, an unstruck planchet as those before me suggested. Neat find. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions