Whats the best source of silver coins, rounds, and bars?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best source of silver coins, rounds, and bars?

I've always heard that APMEX has pretty good prices. However, I went to a local coin shop today that sold me rounds and bars at significantly less than what APMEX is charging. He also sold me some decent silver dollars (probably only Good quality) for much less than what APMEX charges for their cull coins. Plus, he didn't try to charge me an additional fee for using a credit card. I didn't have to pay shipping but I did get hit hard with sales tax though so that was probably a wash.

Anyway, is there someone online that people would recommend over APMEX? I'm looking to buy around $5000 worth of silver in the next few months so I'd like to get the best price possible. I'll also be watching the price of gold closely and I'll pick up some of that as well if the price is right. Any recommendations you can make would be appreciated.

If you have any other places that you'd recommend (Craigslist, etc.) then I'd be happy to hear those too. I've looked out on Craigslist and there are a few people in my area selling silver dollars for a decent price. But you pay such a premium for them that I'm not really sure I want to go that way. One guy in my area has 264 silver dollars for $4000. That's $15.15 each. Not too bad but my assumption would be that they are all probably cull quality so they may not be worth the extra premium above spot that he is asking.

Thanks!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: What's the best source of silver coins, rounds, and bars?

First, you need to avoid the tax. Buy from dealers that are located where bullion is not taxed. Some states restrict the tax threshold at $1000.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down said:
First, you need to avoid the tax. Buy from dealers that are located where bullion is not taxed. Some states restrict the tax threshold at $1000.

Good point. Our local sales tax is 6.75% which would be an extra $337.50 on a $5000 purchase.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Some states there is no tax. Some tax purchases under 1000. Some waive the tax when the purchase exceeds 500. Of course, going to a coin show with cash in hand can be very persuasive.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

PCGS.com has a Buy, Sell and Trade forum where people sell common silver coins, rounds, etc. for reasonable prices. Might be worth a shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread