Variations in coin minting.....

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Just a casual newbie observation that I'd like to share - with the hopes that there may exist an explination.

I've noticed over the years that there is clearly a difference in how same style coins are minted from year to year.
Take the Lincoln cent for instance.
Ever since I had a paper route back in the 80's, I noticed that the 1968 penny has such a deep, bold mint on the heads side. There's a lot of relief and depth to Lincoln's features. I absolutely LOVE that. Yet that same boldness doesn't exist as noticeable in 1967 or 1969. So why '68? What's they do different?

And the run in the late 90's & early 2000's was seems SUCH a light pressing. There's little relief in the detail to appreciate.

I wonder what goes into the 'plan' or standards to which coins get pressed? If any at all?
Are the variations just pure happenstance?
Or does the Director of Mint Operations (per say) make a call that 'Mint strikes shall be lighter this year..."?

I can see if that decision was made intentionally - perhaps explaining the light strikes of the late 90's into the 2000's........but what about that odd year, like 1968, where it just seems someone dialed the press pressure up a notch or something???

I really don't know if any thought at all goes into it?

And it's not just pennies.
Roosevelt dimes seem to have their 'bold' years as well except I've noticed bold, deep pressing on BOTH sides of a particular year of dime whereas the '68 penny seems only bold on the 'heads side'.

Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Thanks!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They remake the master hubs every so often that make the dies. This changes the design slightly, might have something to do with it.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've noticed the same thing. When going through a box of nickels, I don't even need to look at the date of some simply because I know it's a 90's or 00's coin from the shallow design. It looks like the mint is skimping on quality in order to produce quantity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread