would this coin be worth to have graded?

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is one of my prized finds...
I have been debaing on wether or not to donate it to the museum here locally of grade it and keep it
I thisnk that everyone should be able to see the history behind such a great find

Attachments

• P1050642_2.jpg
    P1050642_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 545
  • P1050639.jpg
    P1050639.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 536

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No grading, just keep it. I would NEVER donate a single coin like that to a museum because it means far more to you than to anyone else.

The only thing grading will do is tell you what you know.... decent detail, but corroded/environmental damage. I don't see the point. (Authenticating a rare variety would be my only exception)

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. I would have it slabbed.

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
good point patch its on my wall now I never get tired of studying it

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I would do is identify the variety. Check out this site:

http://www.1794largecents.com/1794/collection.htm

If it were my coin, I would not bother with having it slabbed/graded nor donate it to a museum, just enjoy my find. Too many times I've seen museums accept donations only to sell the items off.

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the variety is a sheldon 69 "dropped 4" its actually the 9 that is out of place it is also known as the "drunken die cutters obverse"
ITs is classified as "scarce"

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamesbibb said:
the variety is a sheldon 69 "dropped 4" its actually the 9 that is out of place it is also known as the "drunken die cutters obverse"
ITs is classified as "scarce"

:thumbsup:

Sweet find!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you can always leave it to a measum in yer will -- that way both you and others both can enjoy it .

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I've donated items to museums before and most of the time they store them away somewhere or, like someone else said, sell them off. You would be surprised at what some museums have stored away. Sometimes the things they have in storage are better than what is on display.

S

stefen

I'd have it slabbed to determine its value for my own curiosity, then keep in personal collection. :coffee2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
I'd have it slabbed to determine its value for my own curiosity, then keep in personal collection. :coffee2:

Grading won't tell you the value because the surface problems also have to be taken into account. It's just another one of those finds that's worth what someone is willing to pay.

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would never sell this coin for monetary gain

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my one cents worth, I would not send away for grading/slabbing........... Almost any ground found copper I would never consider getting slabbed, including Chain Cents or rarer varieties of any copper. IF you ever want to sell or your estate sell, it will do just fine as is, as long as you know what the variety is, and you do. I try to keep my wife informed on the possible values or at least have them all marked for variety if known so that if case something happened to me, she would not be taken advantage of if she decides to sell off my collection. This goes for Relics as well........

Don

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thatnks Guys
I really need to get out of here and do some digging
The VA winter is killing me

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Just my one cents worth, I would not send away for grading/slabbing........... Almost any ground found copper I would never consider getting slabbed, including Chain Cents or rarer varieties of any copper. IF you ever want to sell or your estate sell, it will do just fine as is, as long as you know what the variety is, and you do. I try to keep my wife informed on the possible values or at least have them all marked for variety if known so that if case something happened to me, she would not be taken advantage of if she decides to sell off my collection. This goes for Relics as well........

Don
Well said. Both IP and Don have hit it on the head. I have also tried to inform my wife as to values on my finds and sports card collection. I am only 47, but ya never know. I'd hate for someone to take advantage of the extensive collection(s) I have, just because she needed a few bucks to cover the mortgage. Unless it is a high grade silver, or rare variety copper, NO SLABBING is necessary. True collectors like to examine these coins, upclose, and in the metal. Why pay a grading service $10-15, to put what you can already see with the coin. "Environmental Damage" :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread