Removing scratches from silver

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a handful of silver bars from a dealer for a good price. These were purchased for melt value, not collectible value. Anyway, a few of them are pretty scratched up. Others just have fine scratches. What's the best way to remove the scratches without losing a lot of the silver value? Unlike coins these are not going to be sold by appearance. So I don't mind polishing them up for the kids so that they really shine. I used regular silver polish on one and it shined it up nicely but the scratches are still there.

Any thoughts?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not something I know much about, but you'll need a process that some how fills them in. I don't think any type of simple buffing or polishing will do the job.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll just polish them up for the kids and let it go. I don't want to get into trying to fill the scratches.

Thanks!

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of using toothpaste before but I've never given it a try. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
I've heard of using toothpaste before but I've never given it a try. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

Find something non abrasive, like a silver dip.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already used the non-abrasive stuff like silver polish. It shines it up real nice but doesn't take away the fine scratches. My assumption is that I'd need something mildly abrassive like a jeweler's rouge or pollishing compound to take out scratches (but this could leave even finer scratches).

Basically, I'm asking for a miracle. I want to remove fine scratches from silver bars without removing silver content. I don't see how that is possible. But at this point it can't hurt to try toothpaste so I'll give it a whirl.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
I've already used the non-abrasive stuff like silver polish. It shines it up real nice but doesn't take away the fine scratches. My assumption is that I'd need something mildly abrassive like a jeweler's rouge or pollishing compound to take out scratches (but this could leave even finer scratches).

Basically, I'm asking for a miracle. I want to remove fine scratches from silver bars without removing silver content. I don't see how that is possible. But at this point it can't hurt to try toothpaste so I'll give it a whirl.

Maybe try a cape cod cloth, it's used to polish the scratches out of expensive watches. If you search you should be able to find out exactly how they do it.

But I'm sure it can only do so much when a scratch is deep.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
mts said:

Maybe try a cape cod cloth, it's used to polish the scratches out of expensive watches. If you search you should be able to find out exactly how they do it.

But I'm sure it can only do so much when a scratch is deep.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fold a piece of aluminum foil and rub it hard over the coin with your fingers (like cleaning a eyeglass lens with a piece of cloth). DO NOT do this for valuable coins, but to polish a nickel, dug silver dime or wheaty it works great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions