Best coin finds 2010......so far!!!

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
I thought that I would post my best coin finds that I have made since Jan 1st. The 1797 Draped Bust Half Dime was found this past weekend, and the 1841 Seated Half was found in mid January. I posted the half dime the other day, so I won't go into the details of that find here. I found the 1841 Seated Quarter on the Battlefield of Thompson's Station, TN. It was found in the area that Nathan Bedford Forrest and his cavalry flanked the Union position which forced the Union forces to surrender. There were only 120,000 of these minted in Philadelphia that year, which makes it a fairly rare coin. I was also wondering if the provenance of where it was found would add to the value of the coin? I know that the hole takes away from the numismatic value, but was hoping the historic value would make up for this. Thanks for any input I can get.

Tim Guthormsen

P.S. Since I made the mistake of making my draped bust coin my first post on this forum, it couldn't be added to the banner. Maybe it could be added from this post?

Attachments

• 1797halfdimefront.jpg
    1797halfdimefront.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 1797halfdimeback.jpg
    1797halfdimeback.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 499
  • 1797halfdimefront.jpg
    1797halfdimefront.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 488
  • 1797halfdimeback.jpg
    1797halfdimeback.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 1841_Seated_Quarter_front.gif
    1841_Seated_Quarter_front.gif
    75.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 1841_Seated_Quarter_back.gif
    1841_Seated_Quarter_back.gif
    79.3 KB · Views: 490
OP
OP
tim g

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
I was also wondering if anyone could give me an estimation of what the seated coin is worth. I know the hole detracts from the numismatic value, but was wondering if the provenance of where it was found would add a little bit to it. Thanks.

Tim Guthormsen

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tim g said:
I was also wondering if anyone could give me an estimation of what the seated coin is worth. I know the hole detracts from the numismatic value, but was wondering if the provenance of where it was found would add a little bit to it. Thanks.

Tim Guthormsen

I'd say the hole cuts the book value in half or even less. I don't like holed coins from a collecting perspective so I wouldn't pay anywhere near half, but not everyone dislikes them as much as I do. That said, the rarer a coin is, the better it might do if collectors are willing to pay, and fight, for any example.

Where it was dug adds absolutely nothing to the value unless you have some amazing story that directly makes a connection to the coin.

PS... I don't think the banner rule makes sense, but it's a 1st post on the site so it ain't gonna happen. But hey, who cares, the coin is what counts!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
F-12 , $125.00 But with the hole...who knows...XF-40 all the way up to $275.00...It is a great find for sure. I would take it, holed or not. Someone will pay decent for it but it all depends on what you think is decent as well. If you get a hundred bones for it and you are happy then that's all that matters. :thumbsup: jgas

S

stefen

A dropped vintage coin's story remains unheard, however, a holed vintage coin tells me that the owner most likely kept it on a string because pockets were not the norm at that time...

It wasn't holed because someone wanted to deface a coin, it was quite a common prectice to do so.

That, coupled with the history of the era, a story is told...

I have many coins in my collection that are holed...

Would I buy it? Probably, if the price was right and its something I wanted to add to my collection.

craigpcdmc

Feb 3, 2010
This might be a little off topic, but for the punched coins i make necklaces out of them. I cant count the many of times that i find halves for $6-$7 but already have a hole in them. I would never punch the holes myself, too much self respect. But if you find one, I'm sure they would make great gifts with a simple sterling silver chain from macy's or a craft store.

Go Bills

Jul 7, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The draped bust has a fairly prominent crack on the obverse. Is there any danger to the coin splitting in 2 pieces over time? I have heard of people that this happened to that had cracks in coins adn they split over decades of storage. Is this a real worry, a slight worry or just a superstition?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go Bills said:
The draped bust has a fairly prominent crack on the obverse. Is there any danger to the coin splitting in 2 pieces over time? I have heard of people that this happened to that had cracks in coins adn they split over decades of storage. Is this a real worry, a slight worry or just a superstition?

To me it looks like an aged scratch, not a die crack. No sign of it on the reverse.

Interesting about die cracks breaking coins. I have never heard of that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread