Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mexican: War of Independence 1813. This appears to be an 8 reales copper coin. If so, it's diameter is about 38mm. The "8" appears above the date (1813). This coin was also struck in sliver, cast silver and cast gold. Most of the silver ones were counterfeit; all cast copper coins are suspect. Yours has what some call a "grapevine field" versus a wreath. Morelos' monogram, a script M with small 'o' attached to the M is visible above the '8' value.
Don....

Edit:

The copper coins ordered by Morelos were equivalent to promises of payment. In other words, they could be exchanged for their face value in gold and silver coins upon the triumph of the revolution. Thus, for the first time fiduciary currency was used in Mexico. The obverse of these roughly manufactured coins bore a Morelos monogram along with the denomination and mint year. On the back, a bow and arrow appears, and underneath them, the word “SUD” (“SOUTH”). There were two main variants: A plain one, and another with profuse floral adornment. They were produced in eight, two, one, and half-real coins.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A few years ago the G-VF condition retail value range was $4.00 to $20.00. If there were a 'dot' between the two middle numbers of the date, the value range would increase tenfold. Unfortunately, I don't see it. Still, a great historic coin to own.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread