• 91 qtr rev.jpg
    91 qtr rev.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 385

Go Bills

Jul 7, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I was thinking possible bullet but I think heat as a source is definitely possible as well

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it is heat damage.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I agree with the others that it is heat related damage. I've seen several coins over the years that had those bumps. Some had obviously survived a fire, others were not so obvious...

OP
OP
TxTim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Thanks guys-

I had seen heat damage on halves but never on a quarter.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a house fire in 1989. Our entire collection was in the fire. (it burned to the ground). We detected for days to find all we could (we knew where the "fireproof safe" (that wasn't really house-fireproof) was, so we were able to get most of it. The gold was fine, of course, all the fractional currency was gone, (not really gone, you just couldn't pick it up without it falling apart), but more quarters than halves or silver dollars got those darn heat bumps on them.

If you put your stuff in a fireproof safe - make sure it is really a fire-proof and heat proof safe. We found out, the hard way, that alot of safes have the latch made of something NOT fireproof. It melts, and "bakes" anything inside. Turns it into a kiln. Make sure you get a safe like Sentry makes (a little more expensive variety), that has fireproofing OVER the door latch, so the latch cannot melt.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions