Possible 88/7 Indian Head Penny

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Does anyone else think this is an 88/7? The one and the last 8 really standout, like they were double struck. The last 8 is much thicker on the right side and there is some distortion to the top of the 8. Please notice the dip on the right top of the last 8. I see other oddities, but want to hear from others about this coin. Thanks for your thoughts. T.

Attachments

• last scan.jpg
    last scan.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 459
OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
here is another pic, thanks again for any feedback.
T.

Attachments

• new scan.jpg
    new scan.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 436

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the oddities you describe but no defined part of a 7.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
Almost impossible to tell by a photograph as there are a couple of varieties of this error.Even in the best circumstance all one would expect to see is the foot of the 7 at the left side of the base of the last 8.The less obvious varieties are not worth what the obvious 8 over 7 error is though.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I appreciate the replies......................any guess on what this would be worth as a lesser variety? All opinions welcome. T.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Thanks for the link, I had looked at that site last week. His coin has some similarities to mine for sure. I guess most on that site thought his wasn't an overstrike. The one and the last 8 on my coin really look like overstrikes, like the one was used to line up the restrike on the 8 over a 7. Of course, it is in my hand so I have a bias and reason to be. I am really happy to hear all opinions, even if you don't think it is, please just give a reason why. The best reason why it isn't I can see is the tail isn't in the lower left. I go back and forth on this myself. T.

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
JD, if you look there is something in the lower 0 of the last 8, I can't say it looks like a 7, but there is something there, by my eye, two somethings, actually. T.

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Spooky said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
Spooky said:
the 8/7 overstrike is VERY subtle.....

You may have one there

http://www.cointalk.com/t49784/
That web site states POSSIBLE overstrike, not deffinate.

I was referring to post#3 which shows a known example.

I tried to isolate that post, but it just links the whole page.
Ok, I see what you mean now, and NOW I DO think you might have a 8/7 overstrike!

OP
OP
CladSpends2

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess as to the coins possible value? I know you haven't seen the whole coin, but you can see it is worn, no better than G-VG. I know it won't put my daughter through college, but wondering what some of you folks might think I do have here. Thanks again for all your responses and thoughts. T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread