1983 Copper cent

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found what I believe to be a 1983 copper cent. Being that the last year for copper was 1982, anyone know of these in existence. I have a Ryedale "Ace" sorter and I ran it through about 15 times and every time it came out on the copper side. I need to weigh it but dint have a jewelers scale yet. I will be getting on here in the near future. My research shows it should weigh approximately 3.11g.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cherrypicker's Tip - Watch out for "transitional" mint errors! "Transitional" errors occurred on the Lincoln Memorial Cents when the Mint accidentally used copper blanks for 1983 pennies. These "wrong stock" pennies weigh 3.1 grams, rather than the 2.5 of the zinc cents. If you find a copper 1983, it just might be worth... a pretty penny!

Though i cant seem to find any.

swampmon

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago Area
Do the table test. Drop it on a table along with a current cent. If you hear a high ping, it's copper. You'll know it when you compare current to old. That's how I do the 1982's.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could bury it in the ground, wait 2 or 3 years, dig it up and see if it is partially deteriorated. If it is, it's a zincoln! :thumbsup:

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
thrillathahunt said:
Or you could bury it in the ground, wait 2 or 3 years, dig it up and see if it is partially deteriorated. If it is, it's a zincoln! :thumbsup:

Man you must have some mild soil in Texas, it only takes about 2 months here in Utah.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread