1855 $20 GOLD S mint

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am coming up on a chance in 2 weeks to try and purchase this coin. It is suppose to be real good on one side of the coin and a little wear on the back. I believe the guy purchased it back in the 60's and 70's. Was wondering what would be a good starting offer. I don't wanna under price it for less than he paid when he bought it but ofcourse I don't wanna offer anymore than I have to. I did offer him 20 bucks for each silver dollar and he told my buddy to sell all 22 of them to me without a second guess. Just wondering what everyone thinks?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your $20 per coin sight unseen offer was.......generous.
The bullion value (at $17 per ounce silver) of a .77344 silver coin is $13.15
Best to do your homework on the $20-gold piece.
Have a good idea of what the various grades should look like and their current wholesale (and Ebay) prices.
Otherwise, you could get hosed.
Welcome to Treasure Net!!
Don..........

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
I would'nt buy a coin sight unseen unless I was getting it for the melt value.

OP
OP
thewatchers

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries. I didn't commit to buy them. I don't buy any of my morgans unless I can count all her hairs or writes the letters CC to back her. Never been much for the peace dollars but if they are fine enough then I will consider them. Still wondering what anyone thinks the gold is worth.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
I agree with the others , too difficult to speculate without seeing pictures of both sides.I can give an example of dealing with US gold in that i recently bought a 1/4 eagle sold as in AU condition,a pretty penny for sure.However on recieving the coin i noticed a few almost faded marks on the reverse,not a problem you might think..experts told me differently.Because of those marks even though faded by time and only visable in certain light it was deemed no better than a fancy piece of bullion.
I contacted the seller and it was agreed i should only be paying bullion price.If you consider the difference between an AU 1/4 eagle and 1/10th oz of bullion you'll see what a minefield buying gold coinage is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread