Counterfeit and fake coin article

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The good news is that articles like these vastly improve collector knowledge with regards to forgeries and fakes, but unfortunately, the internet makes this knowledge available to the forgers as well. Because of this, the quality of forgeries goes steadily upwards. Recently, I've seen forgeries come out of China with none of the qualities described at the bottom of the article- if collectors make the mistake of assuming that these are foolproof ways of determining a fake, they will be burned... :(

OP
OP
CoinHELP!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pattiewhack said:
The good news is that articles like these vastly improve collector knowledge with regards to forgeries and fakes, but unfortunately, the internet makes this knowledge available to the forgers as well. Because of this, the quality of forgeries goes steadily upwards. Recently, I've seen forgeries come out of China with none of the qualities described at the bottom of the article- if collectors make the mistake of assuming that these are foolproof ways of determining a fake, they will be burned... :(

I do agree with you. One must know their coin series in and out, and learn the die markers for key dates, and if they don't know anything about coins, then don't by them until you ask someone who does.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that counterfeiter's are putting real lower grade coins in fake high grade PCGS holders is disturbing. I mean a F-12 coin can be put in a holder marked VF-30 and sold at a substantial profit. Or a MS 61 in a MS64 holder. That is scary!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn Chinese, its not enough the send us lead in our toys, mercury in the fish, bought Volvo, now more lead in fake coins!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy Korean, Chinese, and Japanese holed coins on EBAY. When I first started buying, I bought from several Chinese
dealers/scammers. Now, as I have been doing this a little longer, and as has been said, the quality of the Chinese stuff is
getting better, I buy NOTHING - NADA - from any Chinese dealer, unless I have dealt with him/her before, and know that they
are the real deal. And, if I see an obvious counterfeit/copy on EBAY, I send a message to the sellor, letting him/her know that
I will report him if he doesn't pull the coin. I won't buy, and I don't want another to waste money, on Chinese fakes.

nw1886

Greenie
Apr 5, 2010
I work in the coin industry and can say we have been running across very few fake coins from China. We stay up to date on what has been coming out of there and things are going to start getting more difficult as these coins start showing up from the original buyers. So far, fake silver Pandas have came through the door a few times, horrible looking early Bust Dollars, Trade Dollars, early 8 reals and a few Morgans. All of these have been easy to spot (as they have been around for a while) with the exception of the Pandas. It is perplexing with these because of the Chinese government having very serious consequences for the forging of post Mao (1947?) coinage and them still doing it? The Chinese government seems to have little interest/ability in enforcing it's own laws?

Part of the problem are ingrained concepts on it being perfectly acceptable to make fakes. Historically it has been viewed as an industry that "just makes examples" of what people want (or so it is explained). That is a complete crock. You can't tell me that they aren't being sold as real to the "hopeful" tourist, ebay-er and ignorant. These "traditional" concepts will be impossible to change without great efforts in education of not only the producers, but also the folks who facilitate transactions and (where the ultimate power is) the purchasers. The last one is the big "rub".

ebay seems to try to stop the selling of this stuff, but all you have to do is check out current listings and there is still a flood of this kind of "product"" being sold with every kind of "spin" imaginable. If it is too good to be true...it is. I don't know where ebay is in truly dealing with this at all? Tech is there to do it but after that,people need to do the implementation and for whatever reason, effort is falling short.

Coming up, Unc Indian and Lincoln pennies, Large Cents should be here (for all to "enjoy") and there are diagnostics that will have to be learned for these also. These will be a little more difficult because of scrap dealer selling 1920's coin presses on the open market and several of them ending up in China. (I think this info is just a bunch of flak...whats to stop "counterfeiting" of this equipments abilities to do the same job?)

The industry is gearing up to detect these things. For now the problem is somewhat isolated and hasn't had an impact on us at least. We'll have some work ahead.

Once a "collectible" enters the market, it is in the loop until destroyed. Refuse to have this junk!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner back in 1964 when he was 8 years old was given 7 coins by a elderly lady for doing yard work for her he just recently looked at them for the first time since then from his coin collection i really think the lady had no idea they were all copy's, he gave 4 to me post on T-Net to show copy's when they were made is anyone's guess on the Bar Copper the second bar line from the top you can see on the left a barb its supposed to be on the right side all coins say copy on the edge except the top left pewter colored coin . Be careful out there .Dd60

Attachments

• 1776 coins front.jpg
    1776 coins front.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 263
  • 1776 coins reverse.jpg
    1776 coins reverse.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 1776 coins front.jpg
    1776 coins front.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 1776 coins reverse.jpg
    1776 coins reverse.jpg