What kind of error is this?

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
I brought this to a coin dealer and he took a good long look at this. It wieghs just over 3 grams, the usuall for a penny, and he said that it was not flatend by anyone post-mint based on the lettering. The strike is how it should be, so, based on these facts, he said that it looks like someone at the mint forgot to put the collar around the pantecht in the machien and so the penny is wider and thinner than a regular penny is. He did not know what this error is called or what it is worth, which is why I'm posting it here.

P.S. The nickle and IH are only there for comparison, the one in the middle is the error. It has the diameter of a nickle and is thinner than the IH.

Attachments

• Flaterror1.JPG
    Flaterror1.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 476
  • Flaterror2.JPG
    Flaterror2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 476
  • Flaterror3.JPG
    Flaterror3.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 470
  • Flaterror1.JPG
    Flaterror1.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Flaterror2.JPG
    Flaterror2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 472
  • Flaterror3.JPG
    Flaterror3.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 472

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could it be someone is counterfitting pennies?

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
rjw4law said:
Could it be someone is counterfitting pennies?

LOL @ counterfitting pennies!! WHY would anyone counterfiet pennies?! I'm sure if someone were smart enought to make such good looking counterfeit coins that they would be smart enough to counterfiet something that they could make some serious money with! NOT PENNIES!

8^)

B

BIG61AL

1966....long before the mint was using computerised equipment. This error used to occur during a die exchange. Having replaced the die the operator would manually adjust the strike travel, the distance the punch travels to impress the planchet. Over time the die would wear and the the distance increased to compensate. Here it looks like too much travel was applied. A usual error from this process is a too little travel applied and a weak strike is the result.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread