Dbl Die error 1918 dime - Value? Where to go?

dirtboy64

Sep 26, 2005
The last time I was out detecting in Southern Oregon I found an 1918 "merc"at an old park that has often produced nice finds. Once I got home a few days later, I took a closer look and discovered it had a distinct double die image on some of the letters of "Liberty" and in the motto "In God We Trust". I am wondering what kind of value I should expect for such an old dime with the error? I estimate the condition as F-12 obverse, VG-8 reverse, but no scratches other than from normal circulation. Any ideas where to go to get an honest estimate? Would it be worthwhile to submit to a grading service? I guess I have all the questions of a detectorist who has made a find that could be valuable, but isn't sure where to start to determine a fair value and sell it. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve in Salem, OR

Attachments

• DblDiecoin.jpg
    DblDiecoin.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 400
OP
OP
D

dirtboy64

Sep 26, 2005
The photo was taken with digital microscope. Don't have access to camera with macro that can take photo of whole coin. Sorry.

Steve

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Not listed in the red book, the cherrypickers guide doesn't go into dimes.... lol, sorry.

You might try doing a hunt on E-bay for something similar and see what pops up. Are you sure about the grade? That rimm and date look far to good for F-12?

If nothing else do a search for Bill Fivaz or J.T. Stanton. They specialize in die varieties.

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
It is correct that this is mechanical or "machine doubling" it happens when the die bounces a little during the strike. It is Not a doubled die.
Bill

R

Reddackel

Sub and Bill,

For my education, can you tell me how you know it's a machine double?

Thanks,
Red

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Because of the flat, shelflike appearance. Do a search on this forum for doubles, you'll see the complete explanation and pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread