What is with this "Cleaning" thing????

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Re: What is with this "Cleaning" thing????

Get re chargable batteries, scout out a good place to hunt & you might get lucky. I have paid for my md several times over & it for me is not what it is worth but knowing you might hit that mother load one day. The trill of the hunt. OK ya I like the good stuff to in two years I have dug about four good coins such as key dates, one was a 1931 s lhc in near un circulated condition, another 1923 s quarter thy are worth a few bucks.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Letsgethammered said:
Oh i dont doubt people passion for the hobby , ive seen it first hand.I got my first detector 30 years ago.Ive detected in the UK and the US and yet to meet a person who has covered the initial outlay with finds , congratulations , your the first.
:icon_scratch:

Strange I've yet to meet anyone in the UK who hasn't covered his initial outlay, apart from the ones that have not sold anything, my Goldmax paid for it self in the first three months, and has done so now several times over ;D

SS

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess the purists have their standards and want everyone else to adhere to their ideals...
Just as in philately a rare stamp may be listed as "repaired," a purist would scoff at the listing, whereas I would be thrilled to have that particular specimen...
Are these not akin to "restoration?"

My 2 cents..

Best Wishes
Scott

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

Silver Searcher said:
Letsgethammered said:
Oh i dont doubt people passion for the hobby , ive seen it first hand.I got my first detector 30 years ago.Ive detected in the UK and the US and yet to meet a person who has covered the initial outlay with finds , congratulations , your the first.

Strange I've yet to meet anyone in the UK who hasn't covered his initial outlay, apart from the ones that have not sold anything, my Goldmax paid for it self in the first three months, and has done so now several times over ;D

SS

I also find that strange as i lived in the UK for 30 years up until just recently.Perhaps England being more densely populated theres more to find.
Its a tricky area as there are so many protected sites being detected on, i seen comments about night vision goggles on a thread recently , one has to wonder why.

My point was , to each thier own , if one thinks this or that way is a better way of accumulating the treasure without the ring pulls and sore legs there are options.
In my own experience i find it is much easier to "cherrypick" coins on various auction sites.Some i keep and some i sell on , i dont limit myself to US or UK auctions nor do i just do ebay , theres lots of auctions and BST's on forums.

In 2007 i laid out just over $1000 on various bits and pieces , coins and bullion.Happily gold and silver skyrocketed shortly after which in turn allowed me to sell some and buy even more , i began buying coins , granted ive been somewhat "lucky" at times winning coins at ridiculously low prices or the seller not aware of mintmarks and key dates , quite a commen occurance.
I invested in a couple of reference books to identify the real money makers and have discovered one or two techniques which im hesitant to share as it works so well.

Cut to the chase , the $1000 initial outlay is now $8000 in 2010 and my tennies are cleaner than a whistle.Thats not a speculative number , ive kept records of every purchase and every sale with running totals and deductions for shipping.
I fully intend to let the 8k run into another year doing the same thing.Ive noticed one or two other sellers cottoned on doing the same thing , not dealers but always interesting items,made some good e friends and we even swap coins bewtween ourselfs to meet our particular market demands.

I maybe just had one too many fruitless days with a detector and find this works better , for me anyway.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Letsgethammered said:
Silver Searcher said:
Letsgethammered said:

SS

I also find that strange as i lived in the UK for 30 years up until just recently.Perhaps England being more densely populated theres more to find.
Its a tricky area as there are so many protected sites being detected on, i seen comments about night vision goggles on a thread recently , one has to wonder why.

My point was , to each thier own , if one thinks this or that way is a better way of accumulating the treasure without the ring pulls and sore legs there are options.
In my own experience i find it is much easier to "cherrypick" coins on various auction sites.Some i keep and some i sell on , i dont limit myself to US or UK auctions nor do i just do ebay , theres lots of auctions and BST's on forums.

In 2007 i laid out just over $1000 on various bits and pieces , coins and bullion.Happily gold and silver skyrocketed shortly after which in turn allowed me to sell some and buy even more , i began buying coins , granted ive been somewhat "lucky" at times winning coins at ridiculously low prices or the seller not aware of mintmarks and key dates , quite a commen occurance.
I invested in a couple of reference books to identify the real money makers and have discovered one or two techniques which im hesitant to share as it works so well.

Cut to the chase , the $1000 initial outlay is now $8000 in 2010 and my tennies are cleaner than a whistle.Thats not a speculative number , ive kept records of every purchase and every sale with running totals and deductions for shipping.
I fully intend to let the 8k run into another year doing the same thing.Ive noticed one or two other sellers cottoned on doing the same thing , not dealers but always interesting items,made some good e friends and we even swap coins bewtween ourselfs to meet our particular market demands.

I maybe just had one too many fruitless days with a detector and find this works better , for me anyway.

My detector has more than paid for itself with the only two finds I have ever sold! Neither were found at protected sights or with the help of night vision goggles :icon_thumleft:

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

Glad to hear it Shaun , like i say , to each thier own , whichever way produces the best results for the individual is doubtless the way to go.Im pleased to hear youve had good results, i like the consistency of my method , good luck :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Letsgethammered said:
Silver Searcher said:
Letsgethammered said:

SS

Are you refering to the Article about night vision goggles on Rogers Relics website :dontknow:

SS

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

I wouldnt know where it is off hand , there are so many sub forums.It was just a thread talking about metal detecting supplies and somebody mentioned a major dealer listing night vision goggles and when asked for more information on the need for these googles wasnt answered as i recall , not at that time anyway.Besides that , it happens and its commen knowledge,many UK sites are being plundered under cover of night , its no secret.

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

The only coins I clean are the round rocks I buy on ebay called "bulk uncleaned ancient coins" lol

I don't care if they are valuable or not. I can't enjoy them if they look like something that belongs in my driveway.

Sorry, no before shot; stolen from the web. But you know what they all look like lol

vTIvdYYyrEK6i2W.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You cleaned them man, they are worthless now... :laughing7:

Man, you sure made them pretty! I would love to have some old coins like that!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer said:

I agree! Those old coins are totally cool. :icon_thumright:

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010

Silver Surfer said:

Like the man says , buy them in bulk on ebay.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Letsgethammered said:
Silver Surfer said:

Like the man says , buy them in bulk on ebay.

I bought some a while back from Silenos. They were priced reasonably.
Now I can't seem to find anyone selling them for a decent price... :-\

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread