Good deal/bad deal?

Iheartmoney

Apr 4, 2010
Last week I decided to take a trip to the coin gallery around the corner. While I was there, I found a box that had a hand written sign that read: TREASURE BOX EVERYTHING $1.00. I decided to give a look inside and the first thing I pick up is a 1905 Indian Head penny in fairly good condition. Next thing I know it, I was taking everything out, replacing it with better stuff until I found another early dated Indian penny. This time it was dated 1889, plus it was in even better condition then the previous. I also stumbled upon some Buffalo nickels, so I decided I would get a couple. My oldest was a 1927 D. I think I got a good deal, right? If I did, should I get more?

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a cool box although the hances of finding a great deal in there is slim to none although buffs and ih's for a buck are cool so id say good deal

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
IH cents for a buck --not bad (my dealer charges $1.98 for commons) -- buff for a buck if decent --not bad --( common worn ones 95 cents with my dealer) -- I'd check it out for sure ---most likely highly common dates in fair to worn shape most likely --

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but some times I just can't keep my big ole trap shut. I can answer this is several ways so here goes.

1. Are you happy with what you got for the price you paid? If yes then you got a good deal!

2. You mention that this was a coin store. You can pretty much assume that the dealer isn't going to put any high grade, high dollar stuff in the dollar box. It'll be the low grade, low cost stuff to attract kids and or those simply trying to fill a hole in an album.

3. Although in this case the cost was only a dollar, why in the world would you buy something that you didn't know the value of? And after doing so why would you broadcast your purchase to the collecting world in hopes that we'll tell you if you got a good deal.

OP
OP
Iheartmoney

Iheartmoney

Apr 4, 2010
waseeker said:
3. Although in this case the cost was only a dollar, why in the world would you buy something that you didn't know the value of? And after doing so why would you broadcast your purchase to the collecting world in hopes that we'll tell you if you got a good deal.

I went in there looking for an Indian head. That being said, I checked to see what the Red Book's prices were. When I saw low grade Indian heads for $2.00-3 dollars I wasn't expecting it to be in the dollar box.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
like I said --common lower grade aka "junk" indain head cents --my dealer is $ 1.98 --readible date with heavy wear common aka "junk" buffs are 95 cents --so the buffs are normalish priced --the IH are a deal although I bet their common dates :wink:-- a great way buy IH and buffs to make up a type set collection (PENNY, NICKEL, DIME, QUARTER, HALF )-- which I often do -- just put one together the other day --"the faces of liberty" set as I call it -- a IH penny, a V nickel, so called merc ( lady liberty* with winged cap--freedom of thought) dime , a SLQ quarter, and a WALKING half

the dime , quarter and half are 90 % silvers so do not expect any break on the -- however you can use lower grade coins to make the sets fairly cheap.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
Iheartmoney said:
waseeker said:

I went in there looking for an Indian head. That being said, I checked to see what the Red Book's prices were. When I saw low grade Indian heads for $2.00-3 dollars I wasn't expecting it to be in the dollar box.

With the red book half the suggested value and you will be closer to the mark.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
WEll I did the same thing at a coin shop & after going through several Indians I found three that were dates I needed & all three were in VF or better. I thought $2.00 was a great deal.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes will know that I am making a purchase that is most definitely in favor of the dealer. But it makes it easier ,knowing this, better then getting taken advantage of. I normally will do this when I want a coin that I did not have, i.e. IH, paid more that what it was worth value wise, but now I have a couple. Also did the same for a V nickle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions