Is it a 1942/1 d merk ? see pics.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Waiting for the 4" of new snow to melt I started to go through some of my old coins. I came across a 1942 d Merck & noticed some doubling on it, I found a few sites that had pics of both the 42p & d double die. The p is easy to ID as you can clearly see the 1 next to the 2 but the d is not as easy. Most of the info I found on the 42d was that the left side of the 4 & 2 show doubling, looking at mine it has that. Then there was a mention of the y in liberty being laid out wide, got that too but still not sure. Sorry for the pics being backwards but that was the only way I could get a good shot. What do you think?

There is a fellow in California that would look at your coins & give his professional opinion on it but I lost his info. Any one know where I could get it looked at other than sending it in for grading.
IMG_0239.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 271

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I think that you have just an every day 1942 Merc. If you had the 1942/1, you would be able to see it without a loupe and you would know right away if you had one.

There are a couple of pics in the red book.......

VPR

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just a regular one, might be a very slight strike doubling but that is it.

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Thanks for looking, it does have doubling & on more than the date. but it is minor.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, looks normal to me. Maybe slight machine doubling. Keep looking! Just remember, when books and articles are talking about doubling on a coin in their description, they are referring to true doubling.
This doubling will be actually engraved on to the die. Machine doubling is a totally different animal and very common.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread