2 1776 Continental Currency, Liberty And Virtue Pine Tree Shilling UpDate !!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 1776 Continental Currency, Liberty And Virtue Pine Tree Shilling UpDate !!

My hunting partner saw a article in the newspaper about a coin collectors coins one was a 1776 Continental Currency 1.00 coin designed by Ben Franklin and then it dawned on him he has that coin in his collection since he was 8 years old a elderly lady he knew gave it to him back in 1964 i guess he did work for her like cut the grass ,i never saw one until just now on line he is bringing it over this week for me to post on T-Net i found some pictures of one i dont know much of anything about this one ,oh and i told him again join T-Net he has a new Whites Spectra V3 :laughing7: here is 2 pics anyone have any idea about it spill the beans Dd60

My hunting partner went home last night and being so long since he was given those coins when he was 8 1964 for forgot that lady gave him 8 coins all dated 1776 right now iam posting just 3
the 2 large ones Continental Currency one looks to be brass and the other pewter now i see on the edge of the brass coin the word copy !! oh well the pewter one does not say that .The brass weighs 8.0 oz. and is 38.1 mm ,the pewter is 9.0 oz and 38.2 mm the third coin smaller 1776 Liberty And Virtue Pine Tree Shilling is 4.0 oz and 32.004 mm i did my best to post good pics at least they look good for copys ? and when they were made is just as good a guess as anyone's ? They still might be worth a few bucks ...but like i said i only see copy on the large brass colored coin .Good hunting Dd60

Attachments

• continental_dollar_obverse_3D_pcgs65.jpg
    continental_dollar_obverse_3D_pcgs65.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6,108
  • continental_dollar_reverse_3D_pcgs65.jpg
    continental_dollar_reverse_3D_pcgs65.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 5,625
  • 1776 coins front.jpg
    1776 coins front.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,998
  • 1776 coins reverse.jpg
    1776 coins reverse.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,021
  • 1776 edge copy word.jpg
    1776 edge copy word.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,698
OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1776 Continental Currency $ 1 found at home but not by me

Iron Patch said:
As for the one you posted, it's from the Coinfacts website so definitely the real deal.
I just saw him and he showed me the newspaper article plus if he got that coin in 1964 its gotta be the real deal i knew this rainy day would turn up something good i cant wait to see it . Yes those pictures are from Coinfacts

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are MANY,MANY, Many, Cast copies and counterfeits of the originals. I would be interested in seeing the post. I would be HIGHLY skeptical that what your friend has is one of those MANY fakes, especially if it is in very nice shape. By the way, nice transposing pics from the Red Book. :wink: HH Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:
As for the one you posted, it's from the Coinfacts website so definitely the real deal.
I just saw him and he showed me the newspaper article plus if he got that coin in 1964 its gotta be the real deal i knew this rainy day would turn up something good i cant wait to see it . Yes those pictures are from Coinfacts

Many rare coins have both old copies, semi modern copies, as well as new copies, so him getting it in 1964 doesn't really mean much. Now if he had it since 1776.... Shabang! ;D

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Iron Patch said:

Many rare coins have both old copies, semi modern copies, as well as new copies, so him getting it in 1964 doesn't really mean much. Now if he had it since 1776.... Shabang! ;D
He does not know if its brass or pewter tomorrow he will let me have it to post i sure do hope its the real deal for his sake

Badfrog

Aug 31, 2007

Let's just hope it's not from the same aunt who found this coin

ps139915_l.jpg

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

This issue is one of the most counterfeited U.S. coins of all time. Replicas and copies have been sold in souvenir shops for prices in the $5 or less range for decades. I personally own a fake one from the 1950s. There is a 99.999% chance it is a copy, so don't get your friend's hopes up.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Badfrog said:
Let's just hope it's not from the same aunt who found this coin

ps139915_l.jpg
smart azz :o nope not at all time will tell on this one tomorrow we will see if its real or not

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rhedden said:
This issue is one of the most counterfeited U.S. coins of all time. Replicas and copies have been sold in souvenir shops for prices in the $5 or less range for decades. I personally own a fake one from the 1950s. There is a 99.999% chance it is a copy, so don't get your friend's hopes up.
I realize that tomorrow i will find out Thanks

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I have a copy I picked up at a museum souvenir shop in the '60's, not much chance of your friends being real. Post the photos when you can, those souvenir copies aren't very good and can be spotted pretty quick.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

l.cutler said:
Yeah, I have a copy I picked up at a museum souvenir shop in the '60's, not much chance of your friends being real. Post the photos when you can, those souvenir copies aren't very good and can be spotted pretty quick.
There go heres the pictures your guess is as good as mine Dd60

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2 1776 Continental Currency, Liberty And Virtue Pine Tree Shilling UpDate !!

Yeah, totally fake. They are pretty easy to spot, mushy details, cast not struck.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2 1776 Continental Currency, Liberty And Virtue Pine Tree Shilling UpDate !!

No question. These are ALL fake copies. 100% The Liberty and Virtue is a unique speciman. Does he think he has #2?

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
No question. These are ALL fake copies. 100% The Liberty and Virtue is a unique speciman. Does he think he has #2?
He looked it up in his 2010 coin book its kind of hard to tell since the one he has is a copy funny all these years he had no idea they was fakes iam sure the nice lady who gave them to him did not either Dd60

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, for your friend's sake, I wish that some/one of them would not be a fake.
Those are rare coins, and the very definition of the word - rare - tells the tale.
There are a few rare Korean coins. I bought imitations from China......pretty nice, but to a trained eye, no problem telling that
they are not real. Still, I made sure that the holder I have them in is plainly marked "Counterfeit."
Having said that, because they are rare, the copy or counterfeit ones all fill holes. And, if by any chance he finds a real one, then
it won't take but just a second or two to replace the copy with the original.
Hope he doesn't take offense at those who let him know that they are not real. I do not know of one person on this net who woud not have loved to tell your friend, that after looking, they think he might have the real deal.
NOW, we can all hope/keep our fingers crossed, that he stumble onto and find the real, authentic coin. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hikeinmts said:
Well, for your friend's sake, I wish that some/one of them would not be a fake.
Those are rare coins, and the very definition of the word - rare - tells the tale.
There are a few rare Korean coins. I bought imitations from China......pretty nice, but to a trained eye, no problem telling that
they are not real. Still, I made sure that the holder I have them in is plainly marked "Counterfeit."
Having said that, because they are rare, the copy or counterfeit ones all fill holes. And, if by any chance he finds a real one, then
it won't take but just a second or two to replace the copy with the original.
Hope he doesn't take offense at those who let him know that they are not real. I do not know of one person on this net who woud not have loved to tell your friend, that after looking, they think he might have the real deal.
NOW, we can all hope/keep our fingers crossed, that he stumble onto and find the real, authentic coin. :thumbsup:
Hes had the coins since 1964 and really never looked at them since then he was 8 years old a recent news add he saw one of those coins and he recognized it a few days ago then he showed me we both thought something was fishy about them he collect coins for years but like i said those he totally forgot about he also has a 1778 Bar Copper if real it would be worth a good amount of money but we doubt it i might post it anyway just to look at .Dd60

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250

I've had mine over 20 years and every coin dealer I've ever shown it to says it's a replica.
Copies were struck in 1876 and again in 1961
IMG_1333.JPG IMG_1333.JPG
Sorry bout all the pics.It's just one coin

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 946
  • 1776obverse223.jpg
    1776obverse223.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 912
  • 1776reverse224.jpg
    1776reverse224.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,440

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jasper62 said:
I've had mine over 20 years and every coin dealer I've ever shown it to says it's a replica.
Copies were struck in 1876 and again in 1961

Sorry bout all the pics.It's just one coin

Were they struck in 1876 for Museum collections/display?

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250

They were struck for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelohia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread