Can you blame me?

detcord

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
So I inherited about 50 pounds of coins from an uncle. prob about 3 grand total value. Obviously not going to sell anything, i look through it about once a week just to appreciate the coins.

Main reason for the post through; Im a lucky coin kinda guy, ive polished up a 1795 8 reale, and a few insignificant year morgans to carry around with me(one at a time, luck needs to recharge ;) ) I know a lot of you look down upon cleaning and polishing but for some reason i think its okay in this case. opinions?

Edit: he bought a lot of proofs and uncirculateds on my year of birth, I cant make myself take these out of the mint cases.... I know he meant them for me but theyre so beautiful Im going to have to leave them for my kids.

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detcord said:
I know a lot of you look down upon cleaning and polishing but for some reason i think its okay in this case. opinions?

never polish or clean! maybe only if you clean with some mild technique and without scratching..soaking in water after that don't rub just dry them.
better coins rather leave as they are.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Mackaydon said:
And don't break up mint sets by taking them out of their casings.

The above advice is fine if you want to maintain the set and the set's value, but understand that some individual coins have more value than the set complete. I have bought mint sets with Franklins in which the Franklin was a very high grade with FBL (Full Bell Lines). Sent it off to be graded and slabbed. The individual coin is worth more than if I had left it in it's packaging with the other coins. The other coins were placed in mylar saf-t-flips and sold individually who collect those specific denominations. I made more from breaking up the set than by keeping it together. I don't see the harm.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value aside I still wouldn't polish a silver coin because I think the mirror image type reflection it gives is terrible. It you want them to shine there's better ways than polishing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread