Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the happy owner now of a beautiful 1838 Large Cent that is in FANTASTIC condition... Not BU, there are a few small dings in it, but the detail is very crisp and intact.. Beautiful slight patina (didnt know copper could patina, but almost like a rainbow effect) and for it's age, I am very impressed.
Can you experts tell me what I could expect (ballpark) should I decide to sell it?
I am out of state right now (Father in law passed) so I cannot scan it until I get home late Tuesday, but will post the scans after I get home...

HH

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Re: 1838 Large Cent- Ballpark value?

Ok here are the Ball Park figures:
6,370,200 made.....
G4- $25.00
VG8- $29.00
F12- $36.00
VF20-$68.00
XF40-$105.00
MS60-$300.00

Hope that gets ya a ticket into a BallPark :tongue3: Nice coin no matter what grade in my opinion. jgas

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tough to say without seeing it, but all old copper that I have seen with a rainbow effect has been from cleaning.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well here are the scans of the coin.... Detail shows well, but the "hues" arent really shown... It is really beautiful...
I would call it mint state except for the fact that there are a few small nicks in it under a loop... One looks big (but short) under a loop, but to the eye you cant make it out (a pro probably could, but not me or my sons stepdad...)

What do ya think?

Attachments

• large cent front.jpg
    large cent front.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,315
  • large cent back.jpg
    large cent back.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,220
  • large cent front.jpg
    large cent front.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,177
  • large cent back.jpg
    large cent back.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,218
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1838 Large Cent- Ballpark value? *SCANNED COIN*

BTW, in case you didnt read my post about how I found this coin, it was found in my sons home in the old dirt root cellar. 1800's home that his mom and stepdad renovated, and when "shoring" up the foundation a few years back, he found a brick "vault", as he called it, that he didnt want to take the time to dig up.. About 2 ft square.. He said he poured cement over about half of the area it was buried in, and told me to "have at it" when I come back, and have time to do it.. I also can detect to my hearts content there, and you should see all the old marbles my ex has found just digging to plant flowers and stuff. Scott (ex's husband) said he also has found two silver dollars doing that, but gave them to his dad a few years ago... Has no idea about coins and such...
I can't wait to go back and take my detectors (and a shovel.. LOL)...
Pendleton (where they live) is a very old and historic town...

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would say it grades about fine, there is considerable wear. The surfaces appear to have been heavily polished, if it was found this way it must have been polished years ago. The color also would indicate a harsh cleaning. Interesting coin, I doubt the value would be much but it is a great find.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure about the "polishing", could just be the scan... I should probably take a few macro pictures of it in natural light.. The dirt down in the cellar is typical for Eastern Oregon, very fine, almost like talc... Maybe that?
It was only about 2 inches down, near where the old furnace was.. I was just kicking around and found a few nails, then saw the coin..
I am seriously thinking about sending it to PCGS, if nothing else a learning expericence... I could see what they grade it at, and learn a lot from that.
I dont think I will ever use them for all coins of good condition, as I have had great luck getting top dollar for the non-graded coins I sell (even $70 for a "cleaned" morgan).....
Thanks to all!

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I took some macro pictures in natural sunlight. I think these far better represent the coin than the scans did... See what you think...

Attachments

• Large Cent front.jpg
    Large Cent front.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,219
  • Large Cent back.jpg
    Large Cent back.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 832
  • Large Cent front.jpg
    Large Cent front.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 775
  • Large Cent back.jpg
    Large Cent back.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 557

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Much better pics!.......yeah, cleaned pretty good at one point, now starting to re-tone.......F-VF would be my guess but not anywhere near uncirculated........wouldn't send it off for grading, you'd lose your money as it would come back in a "body bag" (ungradable due to cleaning)

But hell, it was free, nice job saving it from the cellar! :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it looks better in these pics, but still F-VF and cleaned. Still nice though.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It simply amazes me how you guys can figure that stuff out.... I wonder though when it could have been cleaned?
I would have to guess that it has been in that cellar a long time. Very dry down there, like I said, the loose dirt was like talcum powder. But I guess a coin that old could have been dropped there even in the mid-1900's and still could have been cleaned. All I did was rinse it off under the tap to get the "dust" off...
I wont bother sending it off then. I am very anxious to return to that home, I can only imagine what I may find!!
Thanks for the advice!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
Much better pics!.......yeah, cleaned pretty good at one point, now starting to re-tone.......F-VF would be my guess but not anywhere near uncirculated........wouldn't send it off for grading, you'd lose your money as it would come back in a "body bag" (ungradable due to cleaning)

But hell, it was free, nice job saving it from the cellar! :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg
Exactly what Greg said. At some point it was improperly cleaned, and or, polished. Not good. Nice addition to the collection! Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not 100% sold on it being cleaned. To me it looks like the lighting is too much which may be giving the apearance the high points are not toned. If the coin is the same color throughout (or at least much darker on the high points than shown) I don't think it's cleaned. I know from taking pictures of some of these in a higher grade the pics often make the coin look glossy like the above shot, and as I said the second one might be nothing more than bad lighting. I personally wouldn't place any bets without better pics.

Even if not cleaned still too low a grade to think about sending in. I had a real nice one that must have been in the AU range because it sold for $150.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread