Connecticut Copper ...... What Year ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
I got this Conn. Copper and i'd like to know what year it is ? I checked the Red Book
and a few web sites an i still have no idea. I'm sure someone here will know :notworthy:
IMG_7286_2.JPG

The rev. is in really rough shape
IMG_7287_2.jpg

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure Don will be along shortly, he will be able to tell you for sure. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
I forgot to mention that it's 27mm wide if that helps any ? and i did learn that......

Connecticut coppers have the most complex minting history of all colonial issues. There were more that 355 die combinations, with at least 126 type varieties having 26 distinct bust styles made by at least six different mints. ???

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1788 is the closest I have come so far, IF you can tell me what is on the Reverse side. Is it * L I B . or some other punctuation after LIB, is it in fact LIB and not ET I am seeing, but I think it is LIB after that * on the RH side...........

Not a 1785 or 1786, the possibilities of 1787 with *L I B don't seem to match up with any of the Obverses........

Tough one to attribute, but actually almost have the variety, yet alone the year, if only knew for sure the Reverse letter and punctuation on right side.............
Don

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Don in SJ said:
1788 is the closest I have come so far, IF you can tell me what is on the Reverse side. Is it * L I B . or some other punctuation after LIB, is it in fact LIB and not ET I am seeing, but I think it is LIB after that * on the RH side...........

Not a 1785 or 1786, the possibilities of 1787 with *L I B don't seem to match up with any of the Obverses........

Tough one to attribute, but actually almost have the variety, yet alone the year, if only knew for sure the Reverse letter and punctuation on right side.............
Don
Don, seems like it was struck off center. I do see * L I Looks like 1/2 the B is off the edge.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Well Don you mentioned 1788 so i looked on the web and the coin again. As far as the
reverse i'm looking at the 1788 Miller 15.2 - P

Right side - no E T [cinquefoil] [cinquefoil] L I 1/2 the B is over the edge shield

Is this authentic or could it be a counterfeit attributed to Machin Mills ?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
Well Don you mentioned 1788 so i looked on the web and the coin again. As far as the

Right side - no E T [cinquefoil] [cinquefoil] L I 1/2 the B is over the edge shield

Not a 15.2 Obverse, the letter spacing on AUCTORI is too close on the 15.2 to be yours. I think it might be a 14.2-A.2 the spacing(distance between each letter and space between bust and letters) looks right for AUCTORI and LI.

Don

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Don in SJ said:
Mike in Berks said:

Not a 15.2 Obverse, the letter spacing on AUCTORI is too close on the 15.2 to be yours. I think it might be a 14.2-A.2 the spacing(distance between each letter and space between bust and letters) looks right for AUCTORI and LI.

Don
You're amazing Don :notworthy:
I was lucky and found an example on the Stacks web site. Sure looks like a match to me :thumbsup:
Thanks so much for your help !!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread