Looks to be in good shape to me all things considered. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

clam

Greenie
Apr 11, 2009
Baltimore County, MD
I love the patina this coin has but I am going to have to clean it because of the oxidation on her face area. What would guys recommend ? electrylsis ?

S

stefen

Cleaning it using electralysis and you will see the value going down the toilet...so to speak.

Use a soak in peroxide or olive oil only...no brushs or caustic cleaners....

As a dug coin, the value will be less than a non-dug coin, but considering that it was lost early in its life, the quality may command a high value....

Consider having it professionally cleaned and slabbed.

VERDI-CHEMIST

May 20, 2010
OHIO
NoooOOooo....DO NOT CLEAN IT! Conserve it! That coin looks to have good detail, around VF-EF. If it's an EF coin and the corrosion hasn't completely destroyed it, it's close to a $200-300 coin. At minimum, it's worth $20-25 as it stands.

Electrolysis, peroxide, acids, etc. are FAR too harsh and will destroy any numismatic premium. Don't rush to ruin this coin! Always start gently and work your way up! First off, soak the coin in distilled water for a few days, if necessary, change out the water a few times as it get "gunked up". Report your progress here after you've completed the soak, take some pictures and we'll go from there.

OP
OP
C

clam

Greenie
Apr 11, 2009
Baltimore County, MD
Thank you for your opinions I will soak it for a few days and go from there.....I will keep you guys updated and post pics...Thanks again.....Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread