2 1987 Silver Eagles second year issue MS65 grade good investment ?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all yesterday i needed a few coin supply,s at my local coin store those card board folds that you staple a coin in for all those dug silvers i get, when i get there of course the owner has to show me his latest oldies like 1700,s half's and dollars beautiful coins but i keep telling him one day ill dig those so why buy them ::) he says ok ,then he calls me over and says see this sealed roll of silver eagle dollars ? from the mint they all are second year issue 1987,s never circulated MS65 grade gem brilliant he carefully takes them out and lays them down and says take a look then he says if you want to buy 2 ill sell for 50.00 total and that includes those 3 coin board bundles 2 bucks each ,i thought about it :icon_scratch: and said sure put them in a snap tight its a deal ,here is a few pics tell me what you think thanks . Dd60

Attachments

• 1987 silver eagle ms65 obverse.jpg
    1987 silver eagle ms65 obverse.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 805
  • 1987 silver eagle ms65 reverse.jpg
    1987 silver eagle ms65 reverse.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 692
U

umrgolf

Ya, I'd say you stole those being in that condition and with the other stuff.. Even though they aren't terribly valuable, they are great display pieces but I'd say you came out on top of that deal :headbang:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold a "Graded" MS-66 1992 for $12. Sorry, but NOT a good investment, unless the price of silver SKYROCKETS to $40 an ounce. :laughing9: Your local coin dealer is not someone I would deal with again. These things usually sell for about $10. Watch for one on Ebay.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
I just sold a "Graded" MS-66 1992 for $12. Sorry, but NOT a good investment, unless the price of silver SKYROCKETS to $40 an ounce. :laughing9: Your local coin dealer is not someone I would deal with again. These things usually sell for about $10. Watch for one on Ebay.
[/quote
hogge said:
Perhaps you misunderstood what i wrote ,with the card board coin folds 8 different sizes from penny to silver dollar 50 per size 2.00 per bundle that's 16.00 so that means the Silver Eagles were 17.00 each takin right out of a sealed mint roll plus he tossed in 2 quality plastic seal tights those cost 2.00 iam satisfied with the deal :thumbsup: Jim Dd60

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
hogge said:
[/quote
hogge said:
Perhaps you misunderstood what i wrote ,with the card board coin folds 8 different sizes from penny to silver dollar 50 per size 2.00 per bundle that's 16.00 so that means the Silver Eagles were 17.00 each takin right out of a sealed mint roll plus he tossed in 2 quality plastic seal tights those cost 2.00 iam satisfied with the deal :thumbsup: Jim Dd60
Jim, You're a great guy and have found some wonderful things detecting, and I enjoy ALL of your posts. I use mylar flips for coins instead of the cardboard folds. They are all plastic and don't require a stapler. I'm just stating what these coins go for. My coin was a full grade higher than what you have and I stated what I received for it. You would have been better off getting 3% a year in a savings account. I'm NOT trying to bust on you for your purchase. There are litterally, millions of these types of coins out there. If you are happy with it, that's all that counts. Hogge

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Deepdiger60 said:
hogge said:
[/quote
hogge said:
Jim, You're a great guy and have found some wonderful things detecting, and I enjoy ALL of your posts. I use mylar flips for coins instead of the cardboard folds. They are all plastic and don't require a stapler. I'm just stating what these coins go for. My coin was a full grade higher than what you have and I stated what I received for it. You would have been better off getting 3% a year in a savings account. I'm NOT trying to bust on you for your purchase. There are litterally, millions of these types of coins out there. If you are happy with it, that's all that counts. Hogge
I realize that the plastic snap types are better and the Mylar i just use the card board ones for non key date coins to keep them in better order in stead of a big pile in my coin chest lol also i checked the spot price on silver today 1 troy oz today is 18.76 so 17.00 per coin wasn't to bad of a deal , hey buddy your finds are not to shabby either keep getting them :icon_thumleft: Jim

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you got a decent deal. If you do a search on ebay for them you will see that they routinely sell in the $20 to $24 range. The price of silver today is about $18.80 per ounce and so at worst Midwest refining will pay 94% of melt for them which is about $17.71. Many coin dealers will give you melt for them as they sell them for around $4 to $6 over melt for example Apmex sells them for $24.39.

To the guy who says he sells them for $12 please PM me I will buy all you have at that price (well at least up to about $10,000 worth.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveP (NH) said:
I'd say you got a decent deal. If you do a search on ebay for them you will see that they routinely sell in the $20 to $24 range. The price of silver today is about $18.80 per ounce and so at worst Midwest refining will pay 94% of melt for them which is about $17.71. Many coin dealers will give you melt for them as they sell them for around $4 to $6 over melt for example Apmex sells them for $24.39.

To the guy who says he sells them for $12 please PM me I will buy all you have at that price (well at least up to about $10,000 worth.
Before you start flappin' TELL THE TRUTH. In a full retail setting, such as a dealership or coinshop, you will get that range. And these are shops where the dealer is ONLY making 20- 25%. My guess is YOU are a retailer and are justifying what this gentleman paid for his coins. This is where people come to a coin shop, and the dealer has to make $. Also, precious metals prices fluctuate BY THE HOUR, so these prices change..........sometimes ALOT. If you read the original thread posting, he asked if this was a good investment. My reply is "N"-"O".....NO!!!!!! Gold and Silver are at all time highs......And if you think they will stay there you are mistaken. All YOU are doing is trying to cash in on high metal prices. You must have bought oil futures at $150 a barrel with your thinking. Just a few weeks ago silver was at 14 an ounce! Oh...and by the way coin dealers will give you melt prices alright....but your addition is a little off. It's $4-6 LESS than 1 troy oz. prices. Which justifies the 12 MELT price I got a month ago. If you are going to sell these as SILVER "COINS", you will get 20-24. (And we ALL know that MS and PROOF grades are different) As MELT- to a "dealer", 12-14, depending on todays price, and how much the dealer wants to make. Did the buyer get an "OK" deal as regards to "COIN" value........Possibly. As regards to "MELT" value, he paid TOP $ as regards to todays price.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would jump in here. If you take it to a dealer of course that's all you will get. He has to make a profit. A dealer will never give you what it is actual worth. Pawn shops are even worse. Now sell it at a flea market or on craigslist and you will get closer to actual value. If you sold it for $12 you could have done better.
HH
enamel7

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
hogge said:

My local coin dealer will buy buy these all day long at 5% under spot price -- about $17 a pop. If you got more for $12 each, I'll take all you got.

Greg

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Hogge , Do you realize that a silver eagle is one ounce .999 pure silver bullion? So 17.00 is very good buy.... when silver is maintaining over 18.00 an ounce I did a quick check an the 1987 is selling for around 26.00..

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Hogge , Do you realize that a silver eagle is one ounce .999 pure silver bullion? So 17.00 is very good buy.... when silver is maintaining over 18.00 an ounce I did a quick check an the 1987 is selling for around 26.00..

That is correct. I just sold three slabbed 1996 ASE's @ 110.00 a pop on E-Bay. The 1987 slabbed ms-69 (Which there are quite a few of each year at that grade) are going for around 35 - 37 dollars.
I think he paid exactly what everybody is paying. And as far as 12 - 14, I will take all you have as well. :laughing7:

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
That is correct. I just sold three slabbed 1996 ASE's @ 110.00 a pop on E-Bay. The 1987 slabbed ms-69 (Which there are quite a few of each year at that grade) are going for around 35 - 37 dollars.
I think he paid exactly what everybody is paying. And as far as 12 - 14, I will take all you have as well. :laughing7:

I'm with you on that $12 deal, ALL IN. Anyway I just sold an MS-70 2010 ASE for $90 + shipping on the bay. No offense to anyone here but some people are really suckers.

Jul 26, 2010
Beverly Hills, CA & Boston, MA
Detector(s) used
I don't dig but I attribute and purchase hoards or single coins/relics
I have bought and sold over 100,000 US Silver Eagles, mostly wholesale in box lots of 500 per box

I would not suggest even to a relative or friend to put money into them.

Silver Eagles are plentiful.

There are two kinds of bullion coins:

Open mintage

Fixed mintage

Open mintage means they mint as many as they greedily can, like silver Eagles
Fixed mintage means the production is capped at a given number, like China Mint silver Pandas and Australia silver Kangaroos and Lunar Animal coins

There are so many 1 oz silver bullion coins now:
American Eagle
Canada Maple Leaf
Mexico Libertad
UK Britannia
Aussie Kookaburra bird
Aussie Kangaroo
Aussie Lunar Zodiac 12 animal series
China Mint silver Panda
ain't that enough?

Dan Smith

Top Member Reactions