East of the Rockies

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The American Silver Eagle (SAE) is considered bullion because it's .999 silver, and as pure as silver get's. It's technically a silver dollar in denomination, but their silver value is whatever the silver market demands, however, the coins always sell for spot plus $2 or more. Actually, a couple dates, including proofs, sell for much more than their silver value due to their lower mintage numbers.

The SAE is struck in business strike examples, but are rarely circulate, as pointed out in another post, but these dies strike the coins in a "business" finish. Furthermore, they are also struck with proof dies, that are specially prepared dies, that strike the coin twice, to impart a mirror finish in the fields and a cameo appearance to the design elements. So, an SAE is either a business strike or a proof but both are considered bullion.

The real confusion comes in the mint marks and where they are located, and I have this info on my website for those interested.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinHELP! said:
The American Silver Eagle (SAE) is considered bullion because it's .999 silver, and as pure as silver get's. It's technically a silver dollar in denomination, but their silver value is whatever the silver market demands, however, the coins always sell for spot plus $2 or more. Actually, a couple dates, including proofs, sell for much more than their silver value due to their lower mintage numbers.

The SAE is struck in business strike examples, but are rarely circulate, as pointed out in another post, but these dies strike the coins in a "business" finish. Furthermore, they are also struck with proof dies, that are specially prepared dies, that strike the coin twice, to impart a mirror finish in the fields and a cameo appearance to the design elements. So, an SAE is either a business strike or a proof but both are considered bullion.

The real confusion comes in the mint marks and where they are located, and I have this info on my website for those interested.

Don't forget about the "Burnished" finished coins as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread