Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another onliner put it this way:
"The silver content is easy to determine on many circulating Canadian coins, but there are a few things to look for.

Firstly, silver coins dated before 1920 are sterling (.925%) silver.

Dollars, half dollars, quarters and dimes from 1920 - 1966 are all 80% silver by weight. The easy calculation to figure out the pure silver weight is by multiplying .6 oz per dollar of coinage. As an example, $10 of 1966 dimes would be .6 x 10 or 6 oz's of pure silver. Multiplying the total by today's price would give you "melt" value of the coins.

The tricky part comes with the 1967 and 1968 coins. In 1967 the Canadian mint shifted production from 80% to 50% on some of the coins. It is virtually impossible to test the difference as an individual. And in 1968 they moved from 50% silver to 99% nickel, removing any silver value for the post 1968's. However, that shift was made mid year as well and many 50% silver quarters and dimes were minted, as well as the nickel ones. The way to test is with a magnet. If the coins sticks, it is nickel, if not, it is silver. At 50% the "per dollar" value of the coin use a multiplier of .375. Using the example above $10 of 1968 dimes would be .375 x 10 or 3.75 oz's of pure silver."
Don.......

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon :icon_thumleft: thanks for the info , this 1952 is a first for me so I'll be more than happy to save it :icon_thumleft: once again thanks for the info.

HH Tank

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
You can also Google Canadian Coinflation. That website will give you the real value of the silver broken down by coin, and years, reflecting today's silver spot value.

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rooter :icon_thumleft:

I basicly was just looking for the years the canadian coins where silver .....like our pre 65's

thanks again for the info :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread