Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you sell your silver coins for spot when silver prices get high ? I've seen a few say they will if it happens , am I wrong I find em an save em so one day my kids an have them an hopefully when that day comes they to will save them , I love the old coins I think their cool to have to look at to find an to share with others .I myself don't have any key dates or high end coins but they are old an they are silver an that's all that matters to me .Myself I'd rather sell my coins to somebody who would want the coins than to have them sold for melt to be lost forever . So Tell me your thoughts I'm intrested in what everyone else thinks .

HH Tank :icon_thumright:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Nope. Never sell my finds. I do give them away once in a while tho.

HH

Desertfox

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There are only a select few (hundred) that I would not melt. These coins won't be sold by me as they will be passed on to the next generation. Other junk silver will be melted down. I have boxes of rolls of halves (90% and 40%) that have a rendezvous with the melting pot when the price is right. When silver goes above $30/ounce, then the 40% will go. When it goes higher, then the 90% will go. I also have rolls of lesser grade morgans and peace dollars that will meet the same fate. I'll still have plenty of rolls of high end morgan and peace dollars that will never see the bourse floor in my lifetime.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
No plans on selling mine anytime soon. How much junk silver actually goes to the smelter?
I don't think much really does. For instance, my local dealer gets lots of junk silver in every week, probably paying 8 x face. He flips it for 13-14 x and can't even keep it on hand at that price. Even the big dealers turn around and sell in quantity to other collectors/investors.
I sell my 40's when I accumlate about $100 face, it just takes up too much space, and I then turn around and buy up to 90% or nice collectible silver coins. ffd

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I've been buying/selling for a few years now. Mostly Ebay. Unless the coin has some special significance to me, poor quality go for silver value or less. If silver 12x face, usually sells for 11x face.

(And whoever stole my grandfather's first dime: I do not forgive you. NEVER. The dime itself is replacable/commonplace/worn. I didn't mind the rest of the stuff you took: it was just stuff. But my history, personified in a single item I still had from my grandfather IS NOT! (Sorry for the rant, had to let that out. It's been nearly 20 years now, and I'm STILL angry. Feel better now.))

No need to wait until silver reaches a magic milestone. It's already reached several in my lifetime.

I predict what silver was for my generation will be copper in the next generation. How many pennies earlier than 1982 do you have stashed away?

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hey tank

Interesting question. I have a rather large collection to most peoples standard I guess maybe 5000-6000 coins and some early notes ontop of that. I dont tend to hold onto the worn silvers or non key dates silvers as i can pick them up any time i want, If i had a bunch I would rather flick them off and purchase maybe one or 2 coins that are harder to get in a higher grade. The key I have found to collecting is trying to get the higher grade of any date, Dosnt really matter the date to a point I guess although the rarer the coin the faster it will appreciate if you have a high grade. I try and go for the highest possible grade that i can find and if i double up with one coin the coin with the lower grade goes back up for sale so i can now spend that money upgrading another coin etc and the cycle goes on.

A collection of common date silver coins wether it be merc dimes or whatever will most likely only follow the value of its silver content so that is my reasoning to sell 200 common coins to get one or 2 key dates in high grade. Atleast that way I know my collection is always appreciating and not just fluctuating with the price of silver.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Hope everything is well with you mate, Will have to catch up again soon.

Cheers Glenn :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone who replied ,it's cool to see how others look at these old coins . I aggree I have a couple of old sliders that you knew was a coin at one time but their junk now that is scrap in my eyes but the good detailed ones I agree they stay . thanks for the feed back Everyone :icon_thumleft:

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

PS. Sasnz I'll catch up with ya latter , give the family Luv :icon_thumleft:

jlasserton

May 16, 2010
Nashville
I will never sell. I collect my coins for a reason and that is to build my collection. My coins have value, but I will keep them forever. I have a strong desire to pass them down to my grandchildren too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread