Quarter Mint Error Mis-Strike ???

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
White's Beagle Spectrometer
This quarter was found in circulation and put away many years ago, would like to know what you all think about it.
Is it a real mistrike?
As you can see it has a piece of metal stuck to it, copper clad showing through, all around imperfections like it is warped or like it was minted with a bunch of dirt or on a bad or scrap blank. Weighs 1 gram lighter than a normal quarter...
Any input will be appreciated

Attachments

• coins2 001.jpg
    coins2 001.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 789
  • coins2 004.jpg
    coins2 004.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 757
OP
OP
nofoolin

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
Will try to get better pics up soon, the copper is really showing on reverse and the nickle is really thick on the front, you can also really see this looking at it from the side. The impression on it is really light in places and it does weight a lot lighter so I can't see how a fire would have done that.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Looks like fire damage to me. :icon_scratch:
I would have to agree. A coin cleaned up after fire damage (using a tumbler or other methods) can have the appearance of copper. The bubble looking at the obverse also tends to make me think fire damage.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Need better focus photos, especially reverse.

Coin doesn't look fire-damaged to me, but haven't seen many fire damaged clad coins.

Reverse appears to have something on it. Photo too out of focus to determine for me.

OP
OP
nofoolin

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
Here are some better pics I hope. Yes, the reverse definetly has a piece of what looks like nickel metal stuck to it. Also reverse has copper clad showing thru while the front side seems very thick with nickel, you can really see this looking from the side. The impression on the front looks a little messed up kinda like it was stamped on a dirty die, and the one on the reverse is very light and imperfect also. Not sure how it came to be like this but very strange.

Attachments

• c3 010.jpg
    c3 010.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 863
  • c3 007.jpg
    c3 007.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 652

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Coin reverse appears to have a blob of melted metal on it. The metal might be tin or something similar. Since it is raised over the surface of the coin, it definately has been added after the minting process. Therefore the coin may have been in a fire, and may have been in close proximity to something like lead or tin, with a low melting point. Maybe a tube of toothpaste?

The coin itself is poorly struck. There may (or may not) be some hint of tin on the reverse rim as well.

Value? I'm afraid it isn't worth very much, if anything, beyond face value.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Damage done at the time of minting has value as an error but damage done after does not. The blob of extra metal for example, would have the eagles wing stamped on it if it happened at the mint. It does not. Value of your coin is 25 cents. Sorry.

OP
OP
nofoolin

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
I understand that some of the damage appears to be after post mint, but all of have avoided my two biggest questions.

1, why is it 1 gram lighter than a normal quarter?

2, why is the copper showing thru on the reverse? It is not all worn down to plain copper, there is still an image on the copper...

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it is lighter because most of the outer clad layer is missing. I think the chunk of metal is all that remains of the copper nickel clad layer. Most likely heat caused the layer to separate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions