• 1 F.JPG
    1 F.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 6,396

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net and post some pics of that penny. :hello:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything like it. I have some Christmas ornaments that have gold paint plated Jefferson nickels as part of the decoration. I wonder if yours is something like that. (Thanks for re-sizing... looks better!)
Someone will know.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but neither of what you suggest is accurate. Cents are minted out of zinc, then put thru a copper wash. Your's also looks like it has been tapped in the effort to start making a ring out of it. No doubling.
HH
enamel7

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with enamel7, looks like the start of a coin ring.

Welcome to T-Net Santa. I knew you were real. :laughing9:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's aluminum, you are sitting on a gold mine. Just thought I'd let you know that.

Seems like the only time they were made was 1974, but what do I know? :dontknow: According to the RedBook, none made it out of the mint.
Although I remember reading something about someone smuggling one or two out for sale. Don't take my word for that, it's just a rememberence.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I see the 2 rims, with one rim much higher than the other. But that doesn't make it a doubled die. Sorry.

A doubled-die would have doubling in LIBERTY, as well as IN GOD WE TRUST. You should be able to click on a photo of one graded by PCGS at PCGS.com.

The rims seem to obscure part of the date and L in LIBERTY, so I'd suggest this is an altered coin, probably not by the mint. I can't tell how the interior rim was created. The the enlarged outer rim suggests someone trying to make a cheap small ring.

OP
OP
S

Santaclauzzzz

Jul 22, 2010
Hey ty everybody very much and ty for waiting for the answer from local coin shop...
The dab-burn coin shop was closed today but says they will return tomorrow & SO WILL I (to the shop) lol
My curiousity is killing me.

NEW FACTS
1. I bought a postal scale today because someone else said an alluminum penny and copper penny are diff weights and after weighing found penny and a reg penny --------> "Both weigh the same, about 2.5grams" :'(
2. After holding the coin to light and looking at it from the side, I did reallize the found coin is a lil warpped.

I am sooooo baffeled at how someone can remove all the copper or make such an altered imprint but either way, I am leaning toward the fact that it is altered :icon_scratch:

I promise to return with local professional hands-on opinion tomorrow I hope.

Hohohoooo, I gotta goooo!
Santa

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said before, they are made of ZINC with a thin layer of copper plating. It's not too hard to remove the minimal copper on the outside. Some cents from 1982 and all since are made of zinc, which is silver in color. Hope this helps.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
S

Santaclauzzzz

Jul 22, 2010
that does help enamal, ty.
:read2: new question about the production of such pennies...are the top & bottom sides made at same time and then the outset edge is worked? or vice versus?
:icon_scratch: ;D

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A blank planchet is inserted into the collar and sets on the reverse die. Then the top die comes down and strikes the coin, causing the design to be imprinted into both sides and spreading out into the collar. This also gives it it's rim. all done in one strike. Dies separate, coin is ejected from the collar and next blank moves into die assembly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread