What are common Morgan and Peace silver dollars selling for now?

jimyates1959

Greenie
Jul 21, 2010
Hi all,

I've got a mixture of Morgan and Peace silver dollars (25 or so) that I was thinking about selling and was wondering what common circulated examples were selling for now a days.

No coin shops or gold and silver exchanges in my little town so I would have to carry
them out of town and was wondering if anyone has any recent sales experience?

Thanks,
Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Really hard to say. It depends on the details (or lack thereof) due to being circulated. Take for example: A 1921 (any mintmark) uncirculated fetches $20. Take that same Morgan, and if it has been circulated, you might get $14. The best I could give you is a range: $25 for AU or better - $20 for better than average circulated condition and $15 for heavily worn.

OP
OP
J

jimyates1959

Greenie
Jul 21, 2010
Diver_Down said:
Really hard to say. It depends on the details (or lack thereof) due to being circulated. Take for example: A 1921 (any mintmark) uncirculated fetches $20. Take that same Morgan, and if it has been circulated, you might get $14. The best I could give you is a range: $25 for AU or better - $20 for better than average circulated condition and $15 for heavily worn.

Thanks very much for your reply Diver_Down. I'll take a good look at them and see what condition they are in.

Jim

E

el_gral

Hello!

Just went to a coin show today and the common dates were going for $17.00 to $19.00 ea depending on the dealer.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell them on ebay. You will probably get more for them. :thumbsup:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Up until 3 months ago, my local dealer was selling nice circulated common dates for $15.
He wised up and is now asking $19. Supply and demand. He can't keep junk silver in stock at 13.5 X face.
I agree with Diver Down.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jim:

First, Welcome to Treasure Net !!

My experience if I'm selling to a dealer:
He'll price the coin at its spot silver price, then knock off 10% since the coin is only .900 fine, then he knocks off 10% of the remaining figure for the smelter's profit, then another 8-10% of that remaining figure (for his profit); and what is left is the offer I'll get.

What that comes down to is I expect between 73% and 75% of spot for my "common date/mint" .900 fine coins; or between about $13.15 to $13.50 when silver spot is $18. Others' experience will, no doubt, differ.
Don.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a silver dollar only has .7736 of a oz of pure silver per dollar --so its real melt value should start at .7736 x the silver spot price of 18 dollars * = actual spot silver melt value * $13.82 private sale value (minus 20% dealer handling fees for cashing in with a silver / coin dealer )--- $2.76 --- dealer value is $11.06 *

so between 13.82 and say 11.06 depending if its a private sale or dealer sale --with silver at $18 per oz --thats for common / non rare / not great condition coins

OP
OP
J

jimyates1959

Greenie
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you for your advice gentlemen! I'm heading out on a short vacation and may throw
the bag in the car and if I see some place along the way find out what I can get for them.
I'll report my findings when I get back home in a few day.

Jim

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they do carry a premium value over melt -- only when your buying * if their common dates in used condition -- when your selling commons in normal shape --- you will get offered "scrap spot silver price" --minus a bit normally by most dealers -- they buy below spot and sell above spot as much as they can knowing they can cash out at the spot "they bought it at" or above and still make money .

OP
OP
J

jimyates1959

Greenie
Jul 21, 2010
I stopped at a coin shop along my vacation route and the lady gave me $17 each for the 35 silver dollars. A few of them were fairly circulated but several of them were in very nice condition she said.

I checked the dates and mint marks on them and I didn't see any of them that appeared to be rare or semi rare in the bunch.

Thanks for the helpful advise given. I'm satisified that I got cash in hand and I don't have to take pictures and put them up on Ebay to sell them!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
computerwizard1959 said:
I stopped at a coin shop along my vacation route and the lady gave me $17 each for the 35 silver dollars. A few of them were fairly circulated but several of them were in very nice condition she said.

I checked the dates and mint marks on them and I didn't see any of them that appeared to be rare or semi rare in the bunch.

Thanks for the helpful advise given. I'm satisified that I got cash in hand and I don't have to take pictures and put them up on Ebay to sell them!
I think that you did well! It takes a special kind of breed to be an eBay seller. ffd

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to keep one in my pocket, 'for luck', but really because I like the feel and sound of them.

They were special when I was a kid; they represented real wealth.

Really what happened is that the dollar has devalued down to about a nickle.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dealer will pay EXACT spot any day of the week, his demand for silver is so high

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes4ever said:
my dealer will pay EXACT spot any day of the week, his demand for silver is so high
I'd gladly pay more than spot for Morgans and Peace dollars. My local dealer's sell price jumped $4 a piece on Morgans recently.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I am referring to ANY silver, rosie dimes, merc, washingtons, kennedys etc........I would NEVER sell a silver dollar at spot price, but common silver I do

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
computerwizard1959 said:

That means that she will probably turn them anywhere from 25 - 30 dollars a piece depending on condition. If there are some VAM's in the lot then 35 - 40 for BUNC's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread