40 % Silver

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kennedy Half Dollars minted from 1965-1970.

edit to add: Jefferson nickels minted from 1942-1945 with the large P, D or S mint mark above Monticello are 35% silver.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were also 40% bicentennials minted. I have found several coin roll hunting.

OP
OP
R

rsmith1737

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2010
Georgetown, IN
Thank you for the information, I was trying to find a good coin book, but there are so many on the market, kind of hard finding the best one.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd pick up a copy of "The Official Red Book of U.S. Coins" by R.S. Yeoman. For the beginner, this is the best one to start with, in my opinion.

As wayne1956 added concerning the Bicentennial, there were also other silver issues made after 1970 but those were meant for collectors, not for circulation though some did end up being circulated.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blacoint said:
what bicentennials are 40%, how would you tell?

thx

The quarter, dime and half, that is if they have and "S" mint mark and even then it doesn't guarantee it is silver. Drop them
on a table and listen for that sweet sound of silver and you will know for sure.

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to look for is the edge. If you see it is the same solid color as the rest of the coin it is silver. If you see it is a copper color, and the remainder of the coin does not have this whitish appearance, its copper nickel clad. The "Red Book" suggested by DigginThePast, is generally updated annually. It won't be dead on the money as far as retail values for coins, but it gives you a fair ballpark. If you want something closer for US coins, I would suggest you suscribe to the "Grey Sheet". This same one is used by many good reputable coin dealers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions