Silver Dollars

norm10

Aug 14, 2010
what are they worth? :help: I guess I can mark this one solved..... :tongue3: 8) thanks for the help.....

Darn the luck :( no cc's My dad gave me these coins and others... 138 in total here are some of the dates and mint marks. most are in good shape.

I adjusted the size of the photos maybe you can enlarged these.. :sign13: I will check the 1889d..

1878p,1880p,1882p,1883,1885o,1886p,1889D,1889o,1896p,1897s,1898p,1900p,1921p,1922p,1925p,1928p,

Attachments

• img060_1_1.jpg
    img060_1_1.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 1,084
  • img066.jpg
    img066.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 1,084
  • img068.jpg
    img068.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • img061_1.jpg
    img061_1.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 1,041

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THOUSANDS if you have the right set of coins i cant see the dates on most of them but im gnna try to see what i can get a date off and post what those are worth retail but figure 12$ each in scrap on them

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless you have some Carsion Cities (CC's)
or other rare dates

realistically right now based on August 27, 2010 1:30 PM EST precious metal prices $14.71 each

35 x $14.71

$514.85

http://www.coinflation.com/

without spending a mint to have them
professionally graded.

you may get lucky at $20. to $25. a piece at an auction,
or yard sale from newbie collectors
or gutzy speculators

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Jeff gave you the info you were looking for but as stated above, if there are any CC, they are worth big bucks.

are you going to sell them?
If so, what are you looking to get for them?

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to see finds like this. Several years ago while my 52 foot cruiser was in dry dock I had my entire collection of over 2500 silver dollars stolen. The guy who stole them is dead now but I'd still like to dig him up and shoot him a few times. We never did find out where he put them or where he disposed of them and he died shortly afterwards so there may be a big find of silver dollars somewhere in the Panama City area just waiting for some lucky person to find them. We knew he had stolen them but could not catch him with them so the law would not get involved.
I guess this will turn into another lost treasure story. It is true and as far as I know none of the coins have ever turned up. I checked with local pawn shops and coin shops but never found that anyone had sold or pawned a large number of silver dollars. The dates went way bak and there were several very good conditioned CC's. Some were quite rare and valuable. So, good luck and watch who you trust around your valued items. You may have a close friend like mine was. >:(

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
wow, that stinks for you whitefeather, but did I miss something? I didn't see him put anything about "finding" them????????????????

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White Feather said:
I hate to see finds like this. Several years ago while my 52 foot cruiser was in dry dock I had my entire collection of over 2500 silver dollars stolen. The guy who stole them is dead now but I'd still like to dig him up and shoot him a few times. We never did find out where he put them or where he disposed of them and he died shortly afterwards so there may be a big find of silver dollars somewhere in the Panama City area just waiting for some lucky person to find them. We knew he had stolen them but could not catch him with them so the law would not get involved.
I guess this will turn into another lost treasure story. It is true and as far as I know none of the coins have ever turned up. I checked with local pawn shops and coin shops but never found that anyone had sold or pawned a large number of silver dollars. The dates went way bak and there were several very good conditioned CC's. Some were quite rare and valuable. So, good luck and watch who you trust around your valued items. You may have a close friend like mine was. >:(

I too had my collection of Silver Dollars stolen >:(

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a breakdown of the dates? I tried to enlarge your photo but am not able to positively make out the dates. There are several strikes that have significant value over many of the Carson City issues. Any 1893, 1894 (P), any 1895 (P is big $$$), 1903 (O) and a few others.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1889-D - never produced. Typo?

1993-S - Do you mean 1893-S? Check this one VERY carefully. BIG $$$ (like thousands in G-VG) if an authentic 1893-S.

1921-P - Morgan or Peace? Peace Dollar has a premium.

1928-P - Has significant value in higher grades.

Can you post closer pictures of these coins? I'll do my best to help out.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
colorado14ers said:
oh you could easily get 20 bucks a coin!! just find the right sucker, I mean customer :laughing9:
20 $ a coin the seller would be the sucker have you seen the price of silver ? I would keep them because they are now and forever will be the most desired silver dollars till the end of time . dah

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a 2010 red book and check your prices thier, to my knowledge you have a couple valuable one. I would even send the nicest ones off to be graded and that will give you the real value wether it isworth the metal or worth the coin.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
You Really should check out www.VAMworld.com and research the variety of each one of those coins. You could have some very rare coins. Most people do not realize there are different varieties of the coins within the same year. Changes to the design from die to die makes different varieties. They used hundreds of dies each year to make these coins. You might easily have a very rare variety. Do some reading on the website I promise it will make a big difference on some of the coins.

Kris

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with silver values these days Most silver coins are now worth
more for their content then collector value.

The only exceptions are Key dates
Proofs, & Uncirculateds

right now a silver dollar has $22.34 in silver in it
which is just over the Value for most VF Condition
Dollars in the red book

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
jeff of pa said:
with silver values these days Most silver coins are now worth
more for their content then collector value.

The only exceptions are Key dates
Proofs, & Uncirculateds

right now a silver dollar has $22.34 in silver in it
which is just over the Value for most VF Condition
Dollars in the red book

Have you ever checked out VAMworld Jeff of Pa? It is a very immportant site for Silver Dollar Collectors. Especially if you want to verify your coin is not a Fake from china. They are slipping them in every it seems these days and you really have to be careful. Plus searching for varieties is fun especially if you own lots of silver dollars.

Kris

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I Have never checked VAMworld Kris
but it sounds Familiar.

Although the only coins I Collect these days
are the ones I Dig, I personally
don't believe I Can be fooled by a Fake Silver dollar
unless made of the same content as a real one
or Placed outside my reach.

I Know there are many who never touched or held real silver
coins, but for us who have, I Would think
a fake would be obvious.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
jeff of pa said:
No I Have never checked VAMworld Kris
but it sounds Familiar.

Although the only coins I Collect these days
are the ones I Dig, I personally
don't believe I Can be fooled by a Fake Silver dollar
unless made of the same content as a real one
or Placed outside my reach.

I Know there are many who never touched or heald real silver
coins, but for us who have, I Would think
a fake would be obvious.

It's not just that you can tell if they are fake. You can find out what variety you have and it might make the coin even more valuable. For instance normally a 1900-O Morgan Silver Dollar in VG/F condition will sell for around $20 if no vam # is called out. But if you have a 1900-O Morgan Dollar VAM 5 (Micro O Mint Mark) and call it out when you sell it, the coin goes up Big Time in value. Check out the auctions below.

This first closed auction is for a MS looking 1900-O Morgan w/ No VAM # called out, it only sold for $33.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1900-O-Uncircul...94?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2eb20df6ba

This second closed auction is for a VG/F looking 1900-O Morgan Dollar called out as a VAM 5 (Micro O), It sold for $80

http://cgi.ebay.com/1900-O-Morgan-S...44?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19c1a7ce08

This is a big difference, If the coin that was MS looking was a Micro O and they had called it out it would have sold for Several Hundred if not Much More!!

Kris

planejet42

Jan 5, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got some nice coins there! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread