• indian 2.jpg
    indian 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 291

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
very very nice coin, looks to be some damage around the rim, that will drop it a little I think. How clear is the word "liberty" on the headband? I guess it all depends on whether you actually plan on selling the coin.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you guys get those Indians so darn clean and black looking? I was told peroxide by one guy, but all that did was wipe the face right off my one 1904 :(

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
take you take some straight on pics? some of the biggest parts in IH grading is in the headdress and liberty

OP
OP
richm

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djm of PA said:
very very nice coin, looks to be some damage around the rim, that will drop it a little I think. How clear is the word "liberty" on the headband? I guess it all depends on whether you actually plan on selling the coin.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you guys get those Indians so darn clean and black looking? I was told peroxide by one guy, but all that did was wipe the face right off my one 1904 :(
Every other indian I've dug has been toast. This one was up against a tree trunk where the tree had just been cut down about 4" down. It looked "fairly" good. I washed it with a little soap and water with a soft tooth brush. At that point I thought I had an 1886? Then I gave it a peroxide bath. You have to microwave the peroxide for 1 minute or until it boils, remove from microwave and drop the coin in. Leave it in until the fizzing stops. I then rubbed it with a soft cloth and this was the result. This particular year was made of bronze. I don't know if that holds up better. I take another pic. The "liberty and feathers are pretty sharp...Rich.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi richm, That's a great find and very nice for being dug! From what I can make out in the pictures I can see the "Liberty" good details in the feathers and 3 1/2 diamonds on the ribbon. I would grade as F to even VF. The damage is very unfortunate. I believe if you send it to a TPG service like PCGS it would come back in a body bag (meaning they won't grade it). NGC or ANACS would probably slab it as authentic, F or VF details, but damaged. I don't think it would actually grade so it would be a waste of shipping money. If it was mine I would just keep it or sell it as a raw coin.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful dug coin but no point in having it slabbed. It would probably come back as genuine, environmental damage or corroded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread