Chinese coin?, silver, IHs, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, whats it coin

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Chinese coin?, silver, IH's, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, what's it coin

Folks,
I posted this in the Today's Finds column yesterday but seeing as no one has attempted to ID some of the coins, I hope you coin experts can.
I have definitely found a virgin site; I have recovered at least 30 non-clad coins (wheats, silvers, IH's, buffs, 2 center, foreign coins) from a few hunts at the place. All of this has been in a 30'X20' area directly outside the front door! A few weeks back I saw the place, noticed it was abandoned and it looked old. I tracked down the owner and she gave me permission to hunt it and chop any of the three foot high weeds I wanted to get my coil on the ground.
Today, between writing some work projects, I stopped to take a few breaks and detect. The wheats are 1945, (2) 1916, 1911, (2) IH's (one is 1902 the other is 1870, 1872 or 1879), two 1964 clad cents (I only mention this because all of the clad cents I've found at this site have been 1964), a brass belt buckle, a two cent piece, an old ribbon aluminum wrapper, a 1937 buff, a 1940 Jefferson, a Chinese? coin, a 1940 merc and a what's it coin (very small on the 3rd and 4th pixs). On one side of the coin is a distinct maple leaf-like shape on either side at the one edge (bottom?) with a ribbon between them. My wife just observed that there seems to be a wreath that stretches up around the perimeter of the coin from the leaves and the center seems to have a large 1. There is a bead around the edge. My wife also thinks she can make out an 'ICA' on the opposite side but no guarantees there. It is smaller than a dime, very worn and seemingly copper. Any thoughts? Also, is the foreign coin Chinese? How old is it? Also, how can I clean the two center and the IH beside it (found together) so I can get a date? They were found in a place beside the front step that had gathered many leaves and the soil was more like the top layer in a forest...very dark.
Not pictured, I also dug up a marble (blue and white), a bunch of shotgun shells and a bunch of rusty pieces (proving I'm a human that likes to detect, not a robot that detects). Btw, all of these were found with my Explorer. I also had my Ace 250 which has sort of become my pinpointer. I started going over a section first with the Ace but after not netting anything twice and finding a bunch of stuff after with the Explorer I just stayed with the deeper machine. Many of the items had iron above, beside or below the items. All items were found between 6"-9".
I'd appreciate any help on IDing or tips on cleaning the two center.
Thanks in advance.
I'll head back to the place when I can.
Happy hunting!
Peace,
T-man

Attachments

• Lincolns.jpg
    Lincolns.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Buckle, 2 center, IH, thread wrap.jpg
    Buckle, 2 center, IH, thread wrap.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Nickels, Chinese coin, what\'s it coin, IH, Merc.jpg
    Nickels, Chinese coin, what\'s it coin, IH, Merc.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Flip sides.jpg
    Flip sides.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 346
  • Lincolns.jpg
    Lincolns.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Buckle, 2 center, IH, thread wrap.jpg
    Buckle, 2 center, IH, thread wrap.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 322
  • Nickels, Chinese coin, what\'s it coin, IH, Merc.jpg
    Nickels, Chinese coin, what\'s it coin, IH, Merc.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 327
  • Flip sides.jpg
    Flip sides.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 304

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Re: Chinese coin?, silver, IH's, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, what's it coin

I hope you can find some thing out about the chinese coin I have one exactly like it and have not been able to find out about it
Nice finds :headbang:

jerryfromCA

Greenie
Oct 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Vaquero
Re: Chinese coin?, silver, IH's, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, what's it coin

Hello:
I have a coin with the same four characters on the obverse,but it's somewhat larger,dated 1707-1709,which I bought several years ago.
It's from Japan. I can't tell you anything more,I don't have a Japanese coin book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread