May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Proof" of purchase for my bag of chips

Hey everyone!

I have to say... as bad as the economic recession is for family's and such, for us coin collectors, it certainly can make it more exciting as people break out their collections and spend them as common coinage!

Yesterday, I go to the snack machine to get a bag of chips. I get a nickel back in change. I grab it and start to walk away when I notice it's awfully shiny. Now, me being a self proclaimed HaCC (pronounced Hack... stands for "Habitual Coin Checker), I obviously take a closer look.

Turns out to be a 1968 S Jefferson Nickel... it's so darn shiny, I figure it HAS to be from a proof set. But then I begin to think.. would someone REALLY break apart a proof set for a nickel!??! Really!?!?

I check out my coin book and it tells me that a proof 68-S goes for anywhere between $0.50 - 0.75 depending on condition.. I figure since this one was circulated, at best it's probably an AU.. therefore, maybe a $0.35 coin or so.. not a big deal, but definitely fills a hole in my collection.

Now.. for those of you familiar with proof sets and such.. is the 68-S a NIFC coin!?? Or... were the 68-S coins produced both for mint sets AND circulation?

Thanks for reading and your future input!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Proof" of purchase for my bag of chips

The NIFC "S" proofs started in 1971 I believe.

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread