Need Advice on Barber dime

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
I have a lower grade barber dime, about VF 20 or so. I'd like to put it in a coin flip, but I'm not sure whether I should wash it first. It has a little bit of a 'patina' and dirtiness from age. It's one of my older coins, and as a rule, I know you shouldn't dive into cleaning ones of value. This one isn't worth much, but would rinsing it with water significantly decrease its appeal?

Please weigh in with your thoughts.

Attachments

• barb dime.JPG
    barb dime.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 331
  • barb dime2.JPG
    barb dime2.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 325

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Looks fine as it is. If you attempt to clean it, you won't be able to get all the nooks and crannies and it will look worse. You won't improve the grade or value by cleaning it, and more than likely, it will look worse with cleaning as the dirt will still be in the nooks and crannies.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would avoid cleaning it. However, if it has actual loose material that may cause scratches when placing in a flip then that should be rinsed off. Plain water and air dry should be acceptable for this coin.

It looks good as is in the pics.

OP
OP
MauserMan

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just rinse it then. Didn't even dig it, just picked it up at a shop.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell in the picture what's dirt and what's toning. You can't easily wash tarnish off silver so there's probably not much to worry about. Personally, after I get 99% of the dirt off with rinsing etc. I use a toothbrush with a little soap and water to get out the rest. It would have to be quite a dug coin to hurt it doing that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Would it be better to use tap or distilled water for the final rinse, or does it matter?

If you can survive it he can! :thumbsup:

S

stefen

If this coin was purchased as circulated, ait has withstood so much abuse and anything you do at this point will not be noticeable...

A little spit and a rinse under tap will be fine...pat it dry but do not rub...

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I use an old "Water Pik" pulsating style teef cleaner. Works great for those crooks and nannies........NGE

S

stefen

nowgittineverything said:
I use an old "Water Pik" pulsating style teef cleaner. Works great for those crooks and nannies........NGE

nowgittineverything,

Wonder if the fizzing tablets for dentures would be beneficial :dontknow:

Any clues?

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
While Stefen's comment is pretty much correct, I think it best to get in the habit of treating all of your coins with the same care. You have no control over what has happened to the coin during it's life before you got it but you do have control now. It is true that it probably won't make a difference with lower grade coins but it could make a big difference on 1 valuable coin you may come across. BTW if using spit I think it's alright to wipe it off. Don't worry about patting it dry. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions