Nickel Question ?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya--keep all you find until you get enough of them to buy a copy of "A Guide Book to United States Coins"... And then do.
John in ID

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep any made prior to 1960 though most in circulation from the late 40's and 50's have no real value above face. Just what I do. :icon_thumright:

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
I don't think you will find the three key Jefferson nickel dates in circulation. No reason to save Jefferson Nickels unless they are uncirculated. No reason to save non-wheat coppers 1982 and earlier either. The cost to process/melt/refine the copper cents you are saving far outweighs the copper melt value.

If you are doing it for fun, please proceed. But don't think of this as the valuable estate you leave to your loved ones.

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like the 82 and prior cents, certain older nickels do not have much for any value. I keep any nickels dated 1970 and prior (that was the last year of the circulation strike S mintmark nickels). More than anything and along with 82 and prior cents, I keep them for antiquity's sake and in case any mysteriously gain value (which I doubt would happen but you may never know). I have found plenty of older dated nickels in circulation. Ones that I definitely feel would be worth keeping if found would be the wartime nickels from 1942 to 1945 (indicated with a large P, D or S mintmark on top of the dome of the Monticello) as these do have a 35% silver content. Be aware as there are 1944 dated nickels known to exist without a mintmark but are counterfeits.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Bluegrassriver said:
No reason to save non-wheat coppers 1982 and earlier either. The cost to process/melt/refine the copper cents you are saving far outweighs the copper melt value.

If you are doing it for fun, please proceed. But don't think of this as the valuable estate you leave to your loved ones.
Pssst.. don't tell the people who are buying them. I thought the same thing until the other night when I decided to poke around on Ebay to see what was going on with these and watched an auction for $100 face value of copper memorial cents sell for $225. :dontknow:

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only good nickels are 1942 to 1945 they are called war nickels they have 35 percent silver in them they go for about 1.30 now with silver over 24 bucks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions